Construction work progresses on St. Croix Crossing river bridge piers
Nighttime activities on eastbound Highway 36, near the Beach Road bridge are underway
July 24, 2014
STILLWATER, Minn. – St. Croix Crossing river bridge piers continue to rise above the river as crews are making great strides on the pier columns and crossbeams.
- Construction crews continue tying steel reinforcement bar for the Pier 8 crossbeam, the pier closest to the Minnesota shoreline. A crossbeam will connect the upstream and downstream pier columns at each pier location.
- Crews will begin tying steel reinforcement bar for the Pier 9 crossbeam next week.
- Crews are working on the second of three sections to the bridge deck of the upstream pier column at Pier 10.
- Crews will begin the first of four sections to the bridge deck of the pier columns at Pier 11 next week.
- Crews are working on the final of four sections to the bridge deck of the pier columns at Pier 12.
- Preparations continue at the on-site and Grey Cloud Island casting yards to begin casting the segments that will become the driving surface of the new bridge.
Follow construction progress on the river via the project webcam at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing/webcam.html.
A one-mile long narrowed river channel and no wake worker safety zone are in place on the St. Croix River near bridge construction. Boaters are asked to stay between the red and green buoys and respect the no wake worker safety zone between Stillwater and Bayport through fall 2016.
Minnesota road work
Overnight work on Highway 36 eastbound lanes between Northwestern Avenue and Osgood Avenue is underway through mid-August. This 24-hour work is needed to work efficiently, remain on schedule and complete Minnesota highway construction by the end of 2014. Additional night work in other locations will begin in late-July and in mid-August.
Other upcoming overnight work and tentative schedule:
- Storm water pond at southwest corner of Highway 36 and Oakgreen Avenue intersection -- late July through fall 2014
- South Frontage Road from slightly west of Oakgreen Avenue to Osgood Avenue -- mid-August through fall 2014
Construction activities include excavation, backfilling, grading and hauling. In general, crews will work 24-hours per day from 7 p.m. Sunday to 7 p.m. Saturday.
Overnight work also continues near Highway 36 at the Beach Road bridge. Work includes crushing old pavement to recycle and use for the road base of the new Highway 36 lanes. Crews do not plan to haul any material during overnight hours. Crews will work 24 hours from 7 a.m. Monday to 7 a.m. Sunday until approximately mid-August.
Nearby residences may experience some visual and noise disruptions related to this overnight work. Additional overnight work may occur, as needed, throughout the construction season.
Throughout 2014 construction, Highway 36 and Highway 95 in Minnesota will remain open. Visit www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing for a full list of current construction activities.
Wisconsin road work
Construction crews this week continued grading work to construct the new WIS 64 road and County Road E interchange near Houlton. This work is ongoing.
Minnesota approach work will be substantially complete by the end of 2014 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge/Wisconsin approach work will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
More detailed information and maps showing the 2014 construction schedule are available at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.