Hwys 36, 95 near Stillwater and WIS 35 near Houlton open for July 4th travelers
Construction work will pause for the holiday weekend
July 1, 2014
STILLWATER, Minn. – All highways will be open in the St. Croix Crossing construction limits for motorists traveling to the Stillwater/Oak Park Heights area for July 4th weekend activities; however, there will be some traffic impacts.
WIS 35 south of Houlton, Wisc., at County E is open to traffic as of July 1. The new WIS 35 overpass that will travel over the newly-aligned WIS 64 is now complete.
In addition, the Minnesota Department of Transportation plans to reopen both directions of traffic on the Stillwater Lift Bridge spanning the St. Croix River at 4 p.m. Wednesday, July 2, though a river-wide no wake zone remains in effect due to high water.
Hwy 36 and Hwy 95 in Oak Park Heights/Stillwater
- Highway 36 and Highway 95 remain open.
- Single-lane traffic continues on Highway 36 from the Washington Avenue/Norell Avenue intersection to Highway 95, as well as on Highway 95 from Highway 36 to the Sunnyside Marina north entrance. Drivers may experience slight delays during heavy travel times.
- Details about other impacts on local roads near Highway 36 and Highway 95 are available at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
- Construction crews do not plan to work on Friday, July 4, through Sunday, July 6.
Stillwater Lift Bridge
- The Stillwater Lift Bridge will reopen to vehicle and pedestrian traffic at 4 p.m. on Wednesday, July 2. The bridge will resume its normal lift schedule until Friday evening, July 4.
- The Stillwater Lift Bridge will remain in the down position at 10:30 p.m. and 11 p.m. on Friday, July 4, to accommodate the anticipated increase in vehicle traffic after Independence Day celebrations. The lift bridge schedule change is valid for that evening only.
- Visit the Stillwater Lift Bridge website for more information and to view a 2014 lift schedule.
WIS 35 south of Houlton
- The detour at WIS 35 south of Houlton at County E has been lifted. The new WIS 35 overpass that will travel over the newly-aligned WIS 64 is now open to traffic.
- Construction crews do not plan to work Friday, July 4, through Sunday, July 6.
St. Croix River
- The Department of Natural Resources currently has a no wake zone on the St. Croix River, due to high water levels.
- A 1-mile long narrowed river channel and no wake zone are in place near bridge construction. Thank you for staying between the red and green buoys and respecting the no wake worker safety zone between Stillwater and Bayport after the river-wide no wake zone is removed.
- Construction crews do not plan to work Friday, July 4, through Sunday, July 6, but officials will patrol the bridge site area throughout the holiday weekend.
Other area projects
Highway 36 at Hilton Trail in Pine Springs: The northbound I-694 ramp to eastbound Highway 36, the ramp from Hilton Trail to westbound Highway 36 and access to Viking Drive from eastbound Hwy 36 are all closed.
Minnesota approach work will be substantially complete by the end of 2014 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge/Wisconsin approach work will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
More detailed information and maps showing the 2014 construction schedule are available at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.