St. Croix Crossing construction continues despite high St. Croix River water level
North Frontage Road to be paved by the end of the week
June 26, 2014
STILLWATER, Minn. – Construction work on the new St. Croix Crossing bridge on the St. Croix River progressed this week despite the high water level. Of note:
- Construction crews poured concrete for the pier base at Pier 11.
- Crews began pile driving for the Highway 36 abutment pier footings. This is the last pile driving activity for pier footings on Minnesota land. However, additional pile driving will occur for falsework.
- Crews are preparing to begin crossbeam construction between the upstream and downstream columns at Pier 8
Crews have not experienced any major delays in bridge construction due to recent flooding, despite having two of three bridge access points now below current river levels. Crews, material and equipment are accessing the project from the Stillwater Dock Wall site, located just north of the project site.
Stillwater Lift Bridge closure
The Stillwater Lift Bridge spanning the St. Croix River remains closed until further notice to vehicle and pedestrian traffic due to high water levels. The lift bridge connects Minnesota 36 and Wisconsin 64. Monitor St. Croix River water levels.
Wisconsin 35 overpass work
The Wisconsin 35 overpass is on track to open to traffic by Thursday, July 3. Over the next several months crews will continue grading to the new interchange.
Crews request that the public stay out of the construction zone at all times. Even when crews are not working, it is not safe to access these areas. Trespassing poses risks to the motorists, crew and could cause damage to newly-completed structures. Please obey the construction signs and help keep the project progressing in a safe manner.
Minnesota roadway work
The six-day Greeley Street intersection closure between Highway 36 and the North Frontage Road in Stillwater is moved to July 7-12. During this closure, motorists on Greeley Street will not have access to and from Highway 36. Eastbound and westbound traffic on Highway 36 and the North Frontage Road will flow normally. The closure does not impact Oakgreen Avenue south of Highway 36. The posted detour will use the North Frontage Road and Washington Avenue. Local resident and business access will be available at all times.
Other project road work updates, weather permitting, are:
- Road reconstruction on Osgood Avenue north of Highway 36 is now complete.
- The North Frontage Road between Northwestern Avenue and Osgood Avenue—except near Greeley Street—is anticipated to be complete by the end of the week. Crews currently are paving the reconstructed frontage road.
- Some additional work on driveways along the North Frontage Road will continue through July.
- Construction on the right-in only from Highway 36 to the North Frontage Road will be complete by the end of 2014.
- The South Frontage Road east of Osgood Avenue is anticipated to reopen in July.
- Traffic on Highway 95 north of Highway 36 is anticipated to switch to newly-constructed northbound lanes the week of June 30. This traffic shift will allow crews to complete work on the southbound lanes of Highway 95 and the intersection of Highway 95 and Lookout Trail.
- The intersection of Lookout Trail and Highway 95 is anticipated to close the week of June 30 through late summer. Access to and from Lookout Trail and Highway 95 will be available at all times by following the signed detour. The intersection is being converted to a right-in/right-out only to increase its safety and functionality following lane additions on Highway 95.
- Traffic on Highway 36 is anticipated to switch to the newly-constructed westbound lanes in early July. Highway 36 traffic from the Washington Avenue/Norell Avenue intersection to Highway 95 will remain single lane through the end of 2014.
Throughout 2014 construction, Highway 36 and Highway 95 in Minnesota will remain open. Access to businesses and residences will be available at all times.
Minnesota approach work will be substantially complete by the end of 2014 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge/Wisconsin approach work will be complete in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
More detailed information and maps showing the 2014 construction schedule are available at www.mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.