St. Croix Crossing Minnesota approach road work complete this week
Highway 95 traffic switch anticipated for the week of June 22
June 17, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – The St. Croix Crossing Minnesota approach road work is scheduled to be completed by June 19, weather permitting. Final activities include permanent signage installation, permanent striping and landscaping restoration. Intermittent lane and shoulder closures are possible during this time. Additional clean-up activities will continue through the end of June.
As early as next week, the bridge construction contractor will switch traffic on Highway 95 near the Highway 36/95 intersection to the northbound lanes. Traffic is currently single-lane in both directions in this area and using the southbound lanes. The traffic switch is needed for construction crews to place pre-cast segments from the west bridge abutment across Highway 95 to connect with the completed Minnesota approach span section at Pier 1.
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates
Other updates include:
- Construction crews are installing segments at Pier 1W (westbound) for the Minnesota approach, next to Highway 95, through the middle of the week of June 22.
- Crews anticipate installing four more pre-cast segments at Pier 8—closest to the Minnesota shoreline—this week, two upstream (westbound) and two downstream (eastbound). Two side-by-side segments make up the driving surface of the new river bridge.
- Crews anticipate installing both initial downstream (eastbound) pre-cast segments at Pier 9 this week. Both initial upstream (westbound) segments have been lifted into place. Crews are in the process of connecting them to the pier table.
- Upstream and downstream pier tower construction continues at Piers 8 and 9. The downstream tower at Pier 8 is anticipated to be complete in mid-July.
- The first of three concrete pours occurred today for the Pier 10 crossbeam. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 10 for crossbeam construction.
- Crews are placing reinforcement bar for the first of three sections of the Pier 11 crossbeam. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 11 for crossbeam construction.
- Crews are placing reinforcement bar for the bottom section of the west pier table at Pier 12. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 12 for pier table construction.
- Pile driving and temporary trestle construction continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction in July.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach. Crews will start next week installing railings and removing the falsework from the completed section of the span that will carry traffic from Highway 95 to the new river bridge. Falsework is a series of temporary structures that support the bridge spans during construction until the bridge can support itself.
Stay clear of St. Croix Crossing construction zones. Do not slow down, park or walk in project work zones or on the new WIS 35 overpass. Good vantage points to safely view construction are the Scenic Overlook and the Beach Road bridge west of the project’s on-site casting yard, as well as the project webcam.
Wisconsin highway construction update
This week, construction crews are:
- Continuing to grade the north end of the project for the new WIS 35/64
- Installing storm sewer
- Placing an aggregate base on School Road
- Making the cattle pass usable
- Placing concrete for the WIS 64 interchange roundabouts
Minnesota approach road work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (1-855-462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.