St. Croix Crossing bridge deck construction begins at Pier 9
Minnesota approach road work complete next week
June 10, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – The contractor is installing pre-cast concrete segments for the new St. Croix Crossing bridge deck at Pier 9 in the St. Croix River (see attached photo). The initial upstream (westbound) segments on both sides of Pier 9 have been lifted into position. They will be connected to the pier table this week. The initial downstream (eastbound) segments are anticipated to be installed early next week.
There are 650 segments that make up the driving surface of the new river crossing. Currently, the contractor is installing segments at Piers 8 and 9, closest to the Minnesota shoreline. River bridge segments will be placed in 2015-16.
In addition, St. Croix Crossing Minnesota approach road work is nearly complete. Final activities, including permanent signage installation, permanent striping and landscaping restoration, will continue through next week. Intermittent lane and shoulder closures are possible during this time.
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates
Other updates include:
- Construction crews anticipate installing four more segments at Pier 8 next week, two upstream (westbound) and two downstream (eastbound). Two side-by-side segments make up the driving surface of the new river bridge.
- Upstream and downstream pier tower construction continues at Piers 8 and 9. The downstream tower at Pier 8 is anticipated to be complete by the end of June.
- Crews are placing reinforcement bar for the first of three sections of the Pier 10 crossbeam. The first crossbeam concrete pour is anticipated for mid-June. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 10 for crossbeam construction.
- Crews are placing reinforcement bar for the first of three sections of the Pier 11 crossbeam. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 11 for crossbeam construction.
- Crews will pour concrete for the bottom section of the east pier table at Pier 12 this week. They also will start placing rebar for the bottom section of the west pier table at Pier 12. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 12 for pier table construction.
- Pile driving and temporary trestle construction continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction this summer.
- Crews are installing segments at Pier 1W (westbound) for the Minnesota approach, next to Highway 95. The span at Pier 1E (eastbound) was completed in May.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach. This week, crews will start striping the forms from the completed section of the span that will carry Highway 95 traffic to the new river bridge.
Stay clear of St. Croix Crossing construction zones. Do not slow down, park or walk in project work zones or on the new WIS 35 overpass. Good vantage points to safely view construction are the Scenic Overlook and the Beach Road bridge west of the project’s on-site casting yard, as well as the project webcam.
Wisconsin highway construction update
This week, construction crews are:
- Grading for the new WIS 35/County Road E and WIS 64.
- Installing storm sewer.
- Placing an aggregate base on the new roundabouts.
- Pouring concrete curb and gutter for the new roundabouts.
Looking ahead, crews will:
- Continue grading on the north end of the project for the new WIS 35/64.
- Continue installing storm sewer.
- Continue placing an aggregate base on School Road.
- Make the cattle pass usable.
- Place concrete for the WIS 64 interchange roundabouts.
Minnesota approach road work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (1-855-462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.