Contractor completes new County Road E interchange bridge for St. Croix Crossing Wisconsin approach
Minnesota approach road paving complete
June 3, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – Wisconsin and Minnesota approach road work as part of the St. Croix Crossing project reached notable milestones this week. Construction crews have completed the new County Road E interchange bridge in Wisconsin. However, it will not open to traffic until the new County Road E/WIS 35 is complete later this year.
Crews have completed all road paving for the Minnesota approach. The remainder of trail and driveway paving will be complete by the end of June.
St. Croix Crossing bridge construction update
St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates include:
- Construction crews have lifted into place the first downstream segment on both sides of Pier 8. They will connect these segments to the pier table by the end of the week. At this point, all four initial segments at Pier 8 will be installed. Two side-by-side spans between the piers make up the new river bridge deck. Crews anticipate installing four more segments next week, two upstream (westbound) and two downstream (eastbound).
- Segment lifter assembly at Pier 9 is nearly complete and crews will begin load testing this week. They anticipate starting to lift segments at Pier 9 next week.
- Upstream and downstream pier tower construction continues at Piers 8 and 9. The downstream tower at Pier 8 is anticipated to be complete in late June.
- Crews are placing reinforcement bar, or rebar, for the first of three sections of the Pier 10 crossbeam. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location. The first Pier 10 crossbeam concrete pour is anticipated for mid-June. Two work shifts are occurring at Pier 10 for this construction.
- Crews are placing rebar for the first of three sections of the Pier 11 crossbeam.
- Crews will start placing rebar for the bottom section of the eastbound pier table at Pier 12 this week. Pier table construction at Pier 12 will continue through June.
- Pile driving and temporary trestle construction continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction in early summer.
- Crews are installing the pier table at Pier 1W (westbound), next to Highway 95. Next week, they will begin building out this span, similar to the completed Pier 1E (eastbound) span. These spans will carry traffic between Hwy 36 and the new river bridge.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach. Next week, crews expect to start removing the forms from the completed section of the span that will carry Highway 95 traffic to the new river bridge.
Stay clear of St. Croix Crossing construction zones. Do not slow down, park or walk in project work zones or on the new WIS 35 overpass. Good vantage points to safely view construction are the Scenic Overlook and the Beach Road bridge west of the project’s on-site casting yard, as well as the project webcam.
Other Wisconsin highway construction updates
This week, construction crews are:
- Grading for the new WIS 35/County Road E and WIS 64.
- Installing storm sewer.
- Placing an aggregate base on the new roundabouts.
Looking ahead, crews will:
- Continue grading on the north end of the project for the new WIS 35/64.
- Continue installing storm sewer.
- Continue placing an aggregate base on the new roundabouts.
- Prepare and start placing concrete for both WIS 64 interchange roundabouts.
Other Minnesota highway construction updates
This week, construction crews are:
- Installing permanent signage and painting permanent markings on the pavement—called striping. These activities will continue through early June.
- Completing remaining business driveways. All business driveways will be complete by the end of June.
- Finishing trail construction throughout the project area. These activities are anticipated to be complete by early June.
- Working on landscaping restoration throughout the project area, including permanent seeding and sodding. Restoration activities will be complete by the end of June.
Intermittent lane and shoulder closures within the construction zone will occur through June to complete final roadway activities.
Minnesota approach work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (1-855-462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.