River bridge segment lifters installed at Pier 8
May 6, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – The first set of segment lifters have been installed on top of Pier 8, closest to the Minnesota shoreline (see photo). They arrived on site by barge on May 1 and May 4. They will be used to place river bridge segments on both sides of the pier to create the spans that will become the driving surface of the new river crossing.
The lifters will go through load testing before segment placement can occur. The contractor anticipates installing the first river bridge segment as early as the week of May 11.
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates include:
- Crews are placing pre-cast segments for the Minnesota approach at Pier 1, closest to Highway 95 (see photo). These segments will become the driving surface of the approach spans.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach. The final concrete pour for one of two cast-in-place sections that will carry Highway 95 eastbound traffic occurred on May 5.
- Crews are removing the crossbeam truss and forms at Pier 9. Pier 9 supports will be installed at Pier 11 in May. At this point, work will be occurring at all five pier locations on the river.
- Upstream and downstream pier tower construction continues at Piers 8 and 9.
- Crews are setting up forms at Pier 10 for crossbeam construction.
- Crews anticipate beginning pier table construction at Pier 12 in mid-May.
- Pile driving and temporary trestle construction continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction in late spring.
Stay clear of St. Croix Crossing construction zones. This season will be the project’s busiest yet, with hundreds of crew members, vehicles and equipment navigating small construction sites. Good vantage points to safely view construction are the Scenic Overlook and the Beach Road bridge west of the project’s on-site casting yard.
Wisconsin highway construction update
This week, construction crews are:
- Installing storm sewer around the east roundabout.
- Continuing to place rebar for the new County Road E interchange bridge deck.
- Grading the new WIS 64 north of County Road E.
- Grading for the roundabout on WIS 35/Main Street.
- Setting forms and placing rebar for the cattle pass.
Looking ahead, crews will:
- Pour concrete for the County Road E interchange bridge deck.
- Pour the concrete floor for the cattle pass.
- Continue grading for the new WIS 35/County Road E and WIS 64.
- Continue placing culvert pipe and storm sewer.
Wisconsin approach traffic impacts
Due to weather, the Andersen Scout Camp Road south access closure is delayed until the week of May 11. The detour is Andersen Scout Camp Road north of 150th Avenue at the County V interchange. See detour map.
Minnesota highway construction update
This week, construction crews are:
- Placing the final layer of asphalt on roads throughout the project work zone. Crews are starting on the South Frontage Road west of Oakgreen Avenue and moving east.
- Grading and placing asphalt for new pedestrian/bicycle trails along the South Frontage Road and at the Greeley Street/Oakgreen Avenue intersection.
- Constructing medians, pedestrian ramps and ditches throughout the project area.
- Landscaping throughout the project area.
Construction to complete business driveways and local road connections will occur in May, weather permitting.
Intermittent lane and shoulder closures within the construction zone will occur through June to complete final roadway activities.
Minnesota approach work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (1-855-462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.