Work to resume next week at Pier 12 in the St. Croix River
St. Croix Crossing bridge construction activities ramp up following ice melt on the river
April 1, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – Work will resume next week on the Pier 12 crossbeam. Pier 12 is the closest pier to the Wisconsin shoreline. The crossbeam connects the upstream and downstream columns at each pier location.
Nearly two-thirds of the Pier 12 crossbeam is complete. Work was paused in early winter 2014 once ice formed on the river and crews were unable to efficiently access the work site by barge.
Now that the ice has melted on the St. Croix River, bridge construction will expand to additional pier locations. In addition to Pier 12 work, crews are currently removing the falsework and truss structure that supported crossbeam construction at Pier 8 and will install them at Pier 10 in mid-April to support its crossbeam construction.
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates include:
- Crews have begun assembling the crane that will be used for segment installation on Minnesota land.
- Pier tower construction continues at Piers 8 and 9. Both the upstream and downstream pier towers are under construction at these pier locations.
- Pile driving continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction in late spring.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach spans.
Please stay clear of St. Croix Crossing construction zones. This season will be the project’s busiest yet, with hundreds of crew members, vehicles and equipment navigating small construction sites. A good vantage point to safely view construction, including segment installation on Minnesota land, is the Beach Road bridge west of the project’s on-site casting yard. Please do not stop on Highway 95 near the Highway 36/95 intersection. Much of the area is an active construction zone and the public is not permitted here, for their safety and the safety of the construction crew.
July public boat tour dates on sale
Tickets for the July public boat tour dates go on sale April 1. Go to St. Croix Boat & Packet to make reservations. Tickets are still available for the May and June public boat tour dates.
Wisconsin highway construction update
This week, crews poured concrete for the new County Road E interchange bridge’s west abutment, as well as sections of the concrete walls of the pedestrian tunnel under the new WIS 35.
Next week, crews will continue construction of the walls of the pedestrian tunnel and place beams for the interchange bridge.
Minnesota approach work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.