Highway 95 lane closures begin April 1
Final pier on Minnesota land is complete
March 25, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – Motorists can expect single-lane traffic on Highway 95 at the Highway 36/95 intersection beginning Wednesday, April 1, weather permitting, as crews prepare the area to transport segments across the road for bridge deck construction on land.
The project’s on-site casting yard located near the Highway 36/95 interchange is fabricating more than 330 pre-cast concrete segments that will make up the driving surface of the approach ramps on Minnesota land. Completed segments will be transported by truck to the construction site. Motorists may experience brief intermittent delays during this time. The project could transport up to five segments per work day across Highway 95. Flaggers will control traffic during the delays.
The project will begin installing segments on land in April. Traffic will remain single-lane in both directions from the Highway 36/95 intersection into downtown Stillwater through fall 2015.
Crews completed today the final pier on Minnesota land that will support westbound traffic from the new bridge onto Highway 95 (see map). There are 23 total land piers that support the Minnesota approach spans.
Other St. Croix Crossing bridge construction updates include:
- Crews recently completed pier table construction at Pier 9 (see map). Pier tables at both Piers 8 and 9—closest to the Minnesota shoreline—are complete. This is the construction stage preceding segment installation. Crews anticipate beginning to install segments for the river bridge in late spring.
- Crews continue pier tower construction at Piers 8 and 9, with both the upstream and downstream pier towers now under construction at Pier 8.
- Pile driving continues on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction this spring.
- Work continues on the cast-in-place sections of the Minnesota approach spans.
Wisconsin highway construction update
Construction crews have completed pile driving for the new County Road E interchange bridge. All pile driving for the Wisconsin approach project should now be complete. In addition, crews poured concrete for the interchange bridge’s east abutment.
Next week, crews anticipate completing more of the abutment structure, as well as sections of the concrete walls of the pedestrian tunnel under the new WIS 35.
Minnesota highway construction update
Crews will be on site in March, as weather permits, to complete minor road work. Minnesota approach construction will ramp up in April and will be completed this summer, in addition to all remaining trail and landscaping work.
Minnesota approach work will be complete in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S. in Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.