Reminder: Public invited to 2015 St. Croix Crossing construction meetings March 24
Work to resume this spring at Piers 10 and 12 on the St. Croix River
March 18, 2015
STILLWATER, Minn. – Area residents and business owners are reminded that public meetings about 2015 St. Croix Crossing construction will occur on Tuesday, March 24, from 12:30 to 2 p.m. and from 4:30 to 6 p.m. at the Oak Park Heights City Hall—14168 Oak Park Boulevard N.
Project staff will be present to discuss:
- Minnesota approach 2015 construction schedule, which includes completing all driveway construction, local road connections, paving, finishing touches such as striping, and trail construction
- Landscaping work
- Wisconsin approach 2015 construction schedule, which will require local road closures and detours at various stages of construction
- St. Croix Crossing bridge construction
- Loop Trail construction
Each public meeting will follow an open house format, and formal presentations will occur during the following times:
- 12:30 to 2 p.m., with a short presentation at 1 p.m.
- 4:30 to 6 p.m., with a short presentation at 5 p.m.
During 2015 construction, Highway 36 and Highway 95 will remain open and access to businesses and residences will be available at all times.
St. Croix Crossing bridge construction update
Construction crews anticipate resuming work in the next several weeks at Piers 10 and 12 on the St. Croix River. Work has occurred at Piers 8 and 9 throughout winter 2014-15. Crews will remove the truss and temporary falsework at Pier 8 for installation at Pier 10 – pier table construction at Pier 8 was recently completed, a milestone step before pre-cast concrete segments can be installed for the bridge deck.
Once the ice melts on the river, crews will resume crossbeam construction at Pier 12, closest to the Wisconsin shoreline.
Other St. Croix Crossing construction updates include:
- Crews continue pier tower construction at Piers 8 and 9. They anticipate beginning construction of the upstream tower at Pier 8 this week.
- Pile driving on the Wisconsin bluff in preparation for Pier 13 construction is ongoing into April.
- Segment production is occurring at both project casting yards.
- Crews continue to make progress on the cast-in-place sections of the approach spans on Minnesota land.
Wisconsin approach construction update
Crews are currently constructing the County Road E interchange bridge in Wisconsin. Most recently, they began driving piling for the west abutment. Crews also are constructing the pedestrian tunnel that will travel under the new WIS 35.
Minnesota approach construction update
Crews will be on site in March, as weather permits, to complete minor road work. Minnesota approach construction will ramp up in April and will be completed this summer, in addition to all remaining trail and landscaping work.
All Minnesota approach work will be completed in summer 2015 and the new St. Croix Crossing bridge will open to traffic in fall 2016. When all work is finished, motorists will have smoother highway pavement surfaces, improved flow at intersections, an improved frontage road system—including safer access—and a new river crossing between Minnesota and Wisconsin. All of this will occur while maintaining or restoring the area’s cultural, historic and environmental resources.
Stay connected, ask questions or provide comments to the St. Croix Crossing project team:
- Visit the project website
- Sign-up for weekly email updates
- Call the hotline at 1-855-GO-CROIX (462-7649)
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter @stcroixcrossing
- Download the new 511 mobile app or visit www.511mn.org
- Stop by the office at 1862 Greeley St. S., Stillwater. Hours are 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday.