MnDOT is interested in hearing what you think about its efforts to communicate about the St. Croix Crossing project, as well as your general thoughts about the project. We are using a short survey that is anonymous and takes only a few minutes to complete. We appreciate your input. The survey will remain open until March 25, 2018.
St. Croix Crossing final work and mitigation
Although the Hwy 36 St. Croix river crossing opened to traffic on Wed, Aug. 2, 2017, additional work remains to complete the project.
Construction on related projects
Stillwater Lift Bridge Project
Aug. 2017 to June 2019
With the new St. Croix Crossing bridge opened to traffic, the historic Stillwater Lift Bridge conversion project has begun. The Lift Bridge is now closed to ALL traffic.
The Lift bridge, spanning the St. Croix River, will be converted to a bicycle/pedestrian crossing and will also become part of a five-mile “loop trail” system connecting the new river bridge with the historic bridge. The Lift Bridge will continue to operate to allow boat navigation beneath.
Hwy 95 in Stillwater
Construction of the Upper Loop Trail along Hwy 95 in Stillwater includes adding new drainage structures beneath Hwy 95 near the Oasis Café and landscaping.
Visit the Hwy 95 in Stillwater project page for more details.
Wisconsin Hwy 64, Houlton, Wis.
Wisconsin Hwy 64 Loop Trail in Wisconsin: Construction of Loop Trail in Wisconsin (part of St. Croix Crossing’s Loop Trail project) and landscaping. Includes construction of two trailhead parking lots, a restroom and a picnic shelter with tables and benches.
Project Dedication Ceremony
A celebration for the completion of the St. Croix Crossing Bridge project was held Aug. 2. Thanks to all who were able to join us in-person for this celebration. We are deeply grateful to all who helped achieve this monumental project.
- No wake zone lifted from St. Croix River at St. Croix Crossing (Sept. 28, 2017)
- Frequently Asked Questions: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 21, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing no-wake zone extended for safety purposes (Aug. 17, 2017)
- What's Next: St. Croix Crossing (Aug. 7, 2017)
- Minnesota, Wisconsin to open new St. Croix Crossing project to traffic at 8 p.m. Aug. 2 (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix Crossing opens after decades of debate, development (Aug. 2, 2017)
- St. Croix River Crossing ribbon cutting ceremony set for Wednesday, Aug. 2 (June 15, 2017)
- Final construction season begins at St. Croix Crossing (May 30, 2017)
- Lane closures on Highway 95 at Highway 36 (Mar. 29, 2017)
- Final closure pour complete (Feb. 10, 2017)
- Bridge construction progress maps
Video series: Building the St. Croix Crossing
Want a closer look at St. Croix Crossing construction? Check out our video series to discover more about the major stages of bridge construction, from laying the bridge foundations below the water to making the finishing touches on the bridge.
- In the first video, learn how crews constructed the bridge foundation below the water.
- In the second video, find out how the bridge piers and crossbeams were constructed
- In the third video, see how crews assembled the bridge deck.
- The fourth video will give you a glimpse of how the pier towers and stay cables were erected.
- The fifth video (below) takes a look at the finishing touches on the bridge, including chip sealing and painting
Visit our YouTube channel to view the entire video series!