The Safety Edge
The safety edge is a simple, practical and cost-effect safety measure that addresses pavement edge drop-offs. Current research indicates that vertical interfaces between pavement edges and shoulder material become hazardous when a driver drifts off the road. These steep inclines can lead to “tire scrubbing” which can result in over-steering and ultimately, fatal collisions.
The Safety edge resolves this issue by tapering pavement at a 30˚- 35˚ angle from the horizontal to newly graded material. It can be applied during any normal project and uses <1% of additional asphaltic material.
Additional benefits of the safety edge
- Improves pavement density at edge
- Stronger interface between pavement and graded material
- Less raveling at pavement edge
- Eliminates "tire scrubbing"
- Increased durabliity and longevity of pavement
- Reduces tort law liability