About 2013 grant awards
MnDOT had $4.3 million in federal grants for Safe Routes to School. It was a highly competitive grant process with 102 applications received, requesting nearly $15 million in funding.
Planning Assistance Grants
- Received 24 applications requesting over $350,000
- The median amount awarded by plan was $10,000 but varies by locations, size of the schools, and other variables
- Planning work will begin in August 2013 and wrap up in summer 2014
- Plans are completed by local Regional Development Commissions. Schools located in Non-RDC areas work with a MnDOT hired consultant.
Non-infrastructure Implementation Grants
- Received 15 applications requesting over $950,000 requested
- These grants will begin in August 2013 and continue for 2 years
- Many of these communities will be implementing action items from their 2012-2013 school SRTS plans
- Received 63 applications requesting more than $15 million
- The communities will begin work this spring on preliminary engineering
- Construction of the projects will be completed during the summer of 2014