Construction of a new parking ramp, Ramp F, is underway directly west of the Transportation Building in St. Paul and will accommodate 531 vehicles. This new ramp should be complete and ready for use by December 2014.
Pedestrian and traffic impacts
- The sidewalk on the south side of the State Office Building ramp will be closed for the rest of this week and will re-open on Monday, Oct. 20. For the first part of next week pedestrians will be able to use the sidewalk adjacent to the State Office Building ramp. In the middle of the week, sidewalk users will be shifted to a new sidewalk on the north side of Ramp F. Watch for signs as the week progresses.
- Fuller Avenue (between Ramp F and State Office Building Ramp) will be closed Thursday – Sunday, Oct. 16-19.
- Saturday, Oct. 18 at 6 a.m., Rice Street will be closed for removal of the crane from the ramp construction site.
- Friday, Oct. 17 at 9 a.m., workers will be washing ramp F and the first level of the MnDOT building.
- Retaining wall along Rice Street will be completed this week.
- Painting of the parking lines is taking place this week. Ramp F will follow the standard stall width of 8’6” used on Capitol Complex.
- Precast enclosure panels and metal grills are currently being placed around the outside of the ramp and will be completed by Oct. 17.
- Once the precast panels are installed, the contractor will power wash the ramp and the west side of the Transportation Building.
- Landscaping and sidewalks on the west side of the Transportation Building will be completed by the end of October.
- The storm water retention system is complete.
Results of the Ramp F lottery are posted under Availability on PMD’s Parking web site. You can use your registration number to check placement on parking assignment/waiting lists.
- Visitor disability parking is temporarily located in Lot D on the north side of the State Office Building.
- Visitor parking is available in Lot AA on the west side of Rice Street between University and Aurora Ave. and at meters on John Ireland Blvd in front of the Transportation Building.
- Map and directions for visitors (PDF)
- The Rice Street entrance to the Transportation Building is closed for the duration of the project.
- Employee disability parking is temporarily relocated in Lot G. A door opener was installed for ease of entry.
- Visitor disability parking is temporarily relocated in Lot D by the State Office Building.
- Visitor parking is available in Lot AA and at meters on the street in front of the Transportation Building on John Ireland Blvd.
- Van pools were relocated to Lot X.
- Some Lot G parking contract holders were relocated to Lot X to accommodate employee disability parking. Plant Management Division has contacted affected individuals.
- Rice Street's east sidewalk is closed during construction.
- There will be increased noise, vibration and dust due to construction activities. There will be increased levels of vibration, mid to late March, while the contractor installs lagging walls. Contractor will monitor vibration levels.
- Bike lockers and racks by Rice Street doors were moved to the John Ireland side in the plaza, adjacent to the building.
Future parking in Ramp F
- Staff who will be parking in Ramp F when it opens will soon receive more information and instructions regarding parking.
- The new ramp will accommodate 531 vehicles.
- MnDOT is exploring the possibility of a tour of Ramp F with the Department of Administration.
- Parking assignments and wait lists for Ramp F were determined by a lottery system. Results are posted under Availability on PMD’s parking web page.