Funding and Legislation
The Rail Safety Enhancement Act of 2008 established new federal funds for
- State passenger rail corridors (see section 302)
- High speed rail (section 501)
To qualify for federal funds states must
- Provide a 20 percent match for Federal funds federal funds
- Develop a comprehensive state rail plan (section 303).
Minnesota Session Law 2008, section 174.03 subd. 1b mandated MnDOT to develop a comprehensive statewide freight and passenger rail plan and submit it to the relevant legislative committee.
- Passenger Rail Forum
- State Plan: 2009-2028 MnDOT is currently updating Minnesota's Statewide Transportation Plan.
- More about Passenger Rail and Freight
- Freight & Passenger Rail Studies
- Federal Railroad Administration
Passenger Rail Initiatives