The Freight Planning and Development Unit reviews MnDOT's role in freight transportation and develops strategies for MnDOT to improve its knowledge and integration of freight transportation into policy, planning, and investment processes. The goal is to make better decisions which, wherever possible, improve or augment freight transportation service productivity and safety. By doing so, MnDOT will enhance its contribution to our competitiveness in the regional, national and global markets.
The objectives are to:
- Ensure freight transportation needs are incorporated in MnDOT’s planning and investment processes.
- Build freight partnerships that promote the exchange of information, ideas and opportunities between the shipping community and MnDOT.
- Enhance the efficiency of goods movement in Minnesota and support economic growth through policies and programs that optimize a multimodal transportation system.
- Promote transportation safety, efficiency, and productivity through innovation, research and education.
- Promote the policies and practices that enhance the safety of moving goods.