Travelers are urged to use caution in work zones during July Fourth holiday
ST. PAUL, Minn. - The Minnesota Department of Transportation urges motorists to use extra caution while driving through highway work zones during the July Fourth holiday.
“We shut down most projects over the Fourth of July holiday, but there are still many work zones around the state that will affect travel,” said Commissioner Charlie Zelle. “We ask drivers to pay attention in work zones, plan ahead and perhaps consider alternate routes. Check www.511mn.org to get advance information about road construction and detours.”
Interstate 94 between St. Cloud and Collegeville will have all lanes open through the holiday weekend. The interstate will again become a single lane in each direction on Wednesday, July 6. Three ramps will also close July 6 and signed detours will direct motorists.
Highway projects that may affect weekend travel July 1-5 include:
Twin Cities area
- I-35E between Vadnais Heights and White Bear Lake – lane and ramp closures
- Highway 61 in Forest Lake – single-lane traffic
- I-94 between St. Paul and Maplewood – two lanes westbound and three lanes eastbound open, daytime intermittent lane and ramp closures –
- Highway 280 between I-35W and Broadway Street – closed, detour
- I-494 in Plymouth – multiple lane and ramp closures
- Highway 100 in St. Louis Park – ramp closures and lane shift
- I-694 between Rice Street in Little Canada and Lexington Avenue in Arden Hills
- Highway 8 between Highway 95 and Taylor Falls – closed, detour
- Highway 25 in Buffalo – detour, lane closures on Highway 55 at intersection
- Highway 5 bridge between St. Paul and MSP Airport – detours, lane and ramp closures
- Highway 169 north of Milaca – one lane each direction and slow traffic
- I-35 between Pine City and Hinckley – lane shifts and slow traffic
- Highway 23/Willmar Bypass – westbound lane closures
- I-94/Highway 29 in Alexandria – single lane on Highway 29, expect delays near I-94
- I-35 in Duluth – lane restrictions and ramp closures
- County Road 11 in Pequot Lakes – closed east of Highway 371 – detour
- I-94/Highway 75 in Moorhead – Highway 75 closed at I-94, detour
- Highway 9 between Ada and Borup – detour
- Highway 11 in Baudette – closed, detour
- Highway 371 in Pequot Lakes – temporary signal at Derkson Road, County Road 11 detour
- Highway 169 between St. Peter and Mankato – detour
- Highway 23 between Holland and Pipestone, Russell to Florence and Raymond to Clara City - detour
- Highway 52 at Highway 53 in Rochester – single lane traffic
For a complete list of projects, including construction dates and traffic impacts, visit www.mndot.gov/roadwork/current.html. Motorists may also sign up to receive email updates for major projects at www.mndot.gov/emailupdates.
MnDOT urges motorists to always be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.