Safe Routes to School Resource Index
The Minnesota Safe Routes to School Online Resource Center is a one-stop shop for tools and resources to assist with Safe Routes to School efforts. This page contains a variety of tip sheets, guides and other resources in the following categories:
Safe Routes 101
- Safe Routes to School and Health [.pdf] - physical activity benefits of Safe Routes to School and strategies for measuring those benefits.
- What is Safe Routes to School? - statistics that explain Safe Routes to School, including traffic congestion, safety, health and obesity, environment and bus transportation costs.
Grants & Funding
6 E’s of Safe Routes to School
- Crossing Guard guide - helps schools, school districts, law enforcement agencies and other entities better understand the roles, rules and guidance for crossing guard selection, placement, training and uniform.
- Enforcement Tip sheet - learn about Minnesota laws pertaining to walking and biking, who should be involved in enforcement of Safe Routes to School, effective enforcement practices and more.
- Legionville School Safety Patrol Training Center - training center for school and school bus patrols.
Safe Routes to School Planning
Policy & Technical Guidance
- AARP Pop-Up Demonstration Tool Kit - Pop-up demonstration projects — also known as "tactical urbanism," "Do-It-Yourself urbanism" or "DIY urbanism" — typically involve community members working together to bring attention to overlooked spaces, address neighborhood issues, or demonstrate things they want changed or improved within a public or sometimes private space such as a streetscape, empty building or underused lot.