Chip seals apply a thin layer of asphalt and aggregate that seal the surface of an asphalt pavement. This protects the pavement from the effects of sun and water, increases skid resistance, fills small cracks and other surface defects. Chip seals extend the life of an asphalt pavement by 5 to 7 years and is a common preventive maintenance activity that involves spraying asphalt cement on the surface of existing pavement followed by the application of a cover agent.
- Pavement Marking Performance Under Challenging Pavement Surface Condition Chip & Seal Coat and Microsurfacing
- Comparative Performance Study of Chip Seal and Bonded Wear Course Systems Applied to Bridge Decks and Approaches
- Stripping of Hot Mixed Asphalt Pavements under Chip Seals
- Seal Coat Research Project (PDF 4.6MB, 32pp)
- Chip Seal FAQ (DOCX 16.3KB, 3pp)
- Research on Deterioration of AC Pavement under Chip Seals
(DOC 428KB, 2 pp)