The geotechnical team is comprised of technical experts in the area of unbound and bound materials found under the pavement surface. This includes grading and base, full depth reclamation, cold in place recycling for new and rehabilitation of roadways. Activities include prioritization of short and long term research, development of long term research test sections at MnROAD, and providing input to the technology transfer team on what should be marketed.
Current Projects and Resources
Team Research Development
Tech Transfer Write-ups
- Larger Subbase Materials - Draft December 6th (WORD)
- Subgrade Design for New and Reconstructed - Draft August 5th (WORD)
Long Term Research Write-ups
- Recycled Aggregate Base and Large Subbase - 6/14/2017 (Word)
- Unbound Intelligent Compaction Partnerships
Reports for Reference
Specifications and Special Provisions
Pavement Design Procedures
Facilities Development Manual - Chapter 14 (PDF)
- Note: New pavement designs and pavement replacements on interstate, US and state highways are designed using AASHTOWare Pavement ME Design, Version 2.1. Local road pavement designs are based on AASHTO ’72.
Terms and Definitions
MnROAD Test Cell - Monitoring and Costs
Topics (Newsletter, Research Pays Off, videos)
Meeting Notes/Action Items
Meetings are held the first Thursday of every month, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. Note that meeting dates/times may change depending on member schedules and holidays.