2017 Construction update week of Aug. 7
Engineer's Weekly Update
by Dave Van Duesen
Monday, August 7
Cell X27/X28: Contractor continues excavation work. MnDOT survey crew performing staking.
Cells 188/189:MnROAD personnel installing subsurface sensors.
Tuesday, August 8
Cells X06: MnROAD personnel prepping concrete joint opening sensors for epoxy backfill.
Cells X27/X28: Contractor installing subsurface drain and performing rough grading. MnROAD personnel sampled bulk subgrade soils.
Wednesday, August 9
Cells X27/X28: Contractor installing subsurface drain and prepping for subgrade scarification in the morning. Scarification performed in the afternoon. Rains started at ~10:30 am.
Thursday, August 10
Approximately 0.4 inch of precipitation fell yesterday.
Cell 228: Contractor installing remaining segment of subsurface drain.
Cells X27/X28: MnDOT personnel performed DCP testing and collected moisture samples of prepared subgrade. DCP test results indicate that the upper 1 foot of the subgrade requires additional moisture.
Cells 185-189: Contractor performed final shaping and compaction of recycled aggregate bases.
Friday, August 11
Cells 201 and 215: Contractor plans to place 4.75 mm thinlay mixture.
Cells X27/X28: Contractor plans to do final preparation of subgrade including watering and further scarification. Ingios personnel plan to perform IC roller mapping either late Friday or Saturday, August 12, 2017.
Look-ahead high points:
- See the attached look-ahead schedule for the weeks of August 14 and 21 provided by CSM yesterday at the weekly meeting.
- Cells 127/227 and 128/228: MnROAD personnel plan to install subsurface conduits for subsequent sensor installs on Monday, August 14. Crushed rock and agg base placement is planned for Tuesday/Wednesday, August 15/16 (not starting Monday as shown on the attached schedule).
- Construction of the NRRA CCPR sections is currently planned for next week beginning Monday, August 14. First up will be construction of the test strips. These will be done in the Contractor’s plant yard. The test strips will be paved at the CS McCrossan plant site at 9784 81st Ave N in Osseo, MN. Schedule as follows:
- Foamed asphalt test strip will occur on Monday, August 14. MnROAD test sections paved on Tuesday, August 15.
- Emulsion test strip will occur on Wednesday, August 16. MnROAD test sections paved on Thursday, August 17.
- Will provide more specific times as the details become available.
- Surfacing (HMA and double chip seal) is envisioned no sooner than the week of August 21, not the week of August 14 as shown on the schedule.
- Cells X05: Final cleaning and installation of fabric is planned for Wednesday, August 23. Paving is scheduled for Friday, August 25.
- Traffic is planned to be switched early in September to facilitate construction of the HMA overlays on the original WB I-94 concrete.
|Contractor installing subsurface drain and prepping for subgrade scarification in the morning.||Scarification performed in the afternoon. Rains started at ~10:30 am.|
|Contractor places 4.75 mm thinlay mixture cell 15||Contractor places 4.75 mm thinlay mixture using special sprayer paver.|