2017 Construction update week of Aug. 21
Engineer's Weekly Update
by Dave Van Duesen
Sunday, August 20, 2017
Cells X27/X28: MnROAD and Ingios personnel conducted FWD tests and IC mapping, respectively.
Monday, August 21, 2017
Cells 185/186/188/189: Paved first lift of HMA in the morning.
Cells X27/X28: MnROAD personnel performed geotechnical point tests (nuclear gage, LWD, DCP, moisture) in the morning prior to paving. Unfortunately, conditions were not conducive for permeameter testing. Contractor paved first lift of HMA in the afternoon.
Tuesday, August 22, 2017
T2 thickness testing in Cells X33/X35, X27/X28, and 185-189.
LVR Cells: Contractor placing/compacting aggregate shouldering.
Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Cell 228: Assessment of failures in Cell 228. This included loading with MnROAD 80-kip truck. Significant deflections were observed.
LVR Cells: Aggregate shouldering work.
Thursday, August 24, 2017
Cells 133/235 and 188/186: MnROAD personnel installed temperature sensors.
LVR Cells: Slope dressing placement.
Friday, August 25, 2017
More shoulder work, otherwise pretty quiet.
Look-ahead high points:
- See the attached look-ahead schedule for the weeks of August 28 and September 4 provided by CSM yesterday at the weekly meeting.
- Cells X27/X28: Due to early failure the Contractor will reconstruct the 9-inch rock subbase section in Cells X28 starting Monday, August 28. Geotech point testing is planned for reconstructed Cells X28 on Thursday, August 31, prior to paving. HMA paving on Cells X27 (second lift) and X28 (both lifts) is scheduled for Thursday, August 31.
- Cells X35: HMA paving on the NRRA CCPR sections is scheduled for Thursday, August 31.
- Cells 185/186/188/189: HMA paving (second lift) on the NRRA recycled base sections is scheduled for Thursday, August 31.
- Cells X05: Final cleaning and installation of fabric for the unbonded concrete overlay is planned for Wednesday, August 30. MnROAD personnel will install pavement sensors Thursday, August 31. Concrete paving is scheduled for either Friday or Saturday, September 1/2.
- Traffic is planned to be switched Monday, September 11 to facilitate construction of the HMA overlays on the original WB I-94 concrete.