About Work Zones & Pavement Markings
What we do
The Work Zone and Pavement Marking staff specialize in the design, implementation and inspection of work zone traffic control and pavement marking in the Metro District. We also analyze construction project impacts and assist in developing mitigation strategies to alleviate impacts.
This group also creates and hosts the Metro District Lane Closure Manual, which is used to determine the appropriate time of day for planned lane closures in the Twin Cities Metro area.
Work Zones is separated into east and west areas. See the Work Zones contacts map.
Detailed work zone and pavement marking information
- Traffic Management Plan (TMP) Resources - Includes TMP forms and documents relating to the TMP process for projects with impacts on MnDOT Twin Cities Metro Trunk Highways.
- TMP Development Guidelines – overview of Metro District’s development of Transportation System Management Plans
- TMP Process and Components – summary of Metro District’s TMP process and what's included in a TMP and Basic TMP
- Project Timeline – timeline outlining TMP process development in conjunction with MnDOT's overall project development timeframe
- TMP Level Guidance – updated Matrix TMP levels (1-4) of impact
- TMP Scoping Worksheet – worksheet to be completed during project scoping. Includes the Work Zone Mobility Impact Assessment Worksheet, Flag Checklist (including consideration of ABC techniques) and TMP Scoping Conclusions.
- Metro Work Zone Model Request Form – form to be completed when requesting project staging modeling. Please contact the Metro Work Zone Office in advance.
- TMP Template – outline for a standard format of the TMP document
- TMP Worksheet – checklist of impact and mitigation considerations
- Work Zone Minimization Strategies – summary of potential traffic mitigation strategies. Can be used to supplement TMP Worksheet.
- MnDOT Work Zone Safety – Includes summer and winter work zone safety driving tips and public service announcements (PSAs) and videos.
- Office of Traffic Engineering (OTE) Pavement Markings & Delineation – Includes Pavement Marking plan sheets and resources such as Special Provisions and Standards & Specifications.
- Office of Traffic Engineering (OTE) Work Zones – Includes Work Zone Safety Tools and resources such as guidelines, manuals, reports and Special Provisions.