About Work Zones and Pavement Marking
What we do
The Work Zone and Pavement Marking staff specialize in the design, implementation and inspection of work zone traffic control and pavement marking in the Metro District. We also analyze construction project impacts and assist in developing mitigation strategies to alleviate impacts.
This group also creates and hosts the Metro District Lane Closure Manual, which is used to determine the appropriate time of day for planned lane closures in the Twin Cities Metro area.
Work Zones is separated into east and west areas. See the Work Zones map.
Detailed work zone and pavement marking information
- Traffic Management Plan (TMP) Resources - Includes TMP forms and documents relating to the TMP process for projects with impacts on MnDOT Twin Cities Metro Trunk Highways.
- TMP Process and Components – summary of Metro District’s TMP process and what is included in a TMP and Basic TMP
- Project Timeline - timeline outlining TMP process development in conjunction with MnDOT's overall project development timeframe
- TMP Level Guidance - Matrix of updated levels, 1 thru 4, of TMP development
- TMP Scoping Worksheet - worksheet to be completed during project scoping. Includes the Work Zone Mobility Impact Assessment Worksheet, Flag Checklist (including consideration of ABC techniques), and TMP Scoping Conclusions.
- Metro Work Zone Model Request Form - form to be completed when requesting project staging modeling. Please contact the Metro Work Zone Office in advance.
- TMP Worksheet - checklist of impact and mitigation considerations
- Work Zone Minimization Strategies - summary of potential traffic mitigation strategies. Can be used to supplement TMP Worksheet.
- TMP Template - outline for a standard format of the TMP document
- For projects that do not go through the MnDOT scoping process or were scoped prior to March 2015, please use the following two documents:
- Office of Traffic Engineering (OTE) Work Zones - Includes Work Zone Safety Tools and resources such as manuals, guidelines, special provisions, CADD design files containing typical plan sheets, and reports.
- Work Zone Safety - Recognizing work zone areas and driving safe. Includes road construction, Worker Memorial Day and public service announcements.
- Office of Traffic Engineering (OTE) Pavement Markings & Delineation - Includes Pavement Marking Plan Sheets and Design Tools such as Special Provisions and Standards & Specifications.
- Traffic Impact Management Data - Data format description and guide for managing and sharing traffic impact data within and between agencies.