Aug. 2, 2017 through June 2019
- The Stillwater Lift Bridge over the St. Croix River between Stillwater, MN and Houlton, WI is closed to ALL traffic
- Traffic has been transferred to the new St. Croix Crossing bridge to the south in Oak Park Heights as the Stillwater Lift Bridge will be converted to a bicycle/pedestrian crossing. It will reopen for pedestrian and bicycle traffic only and lift for boats in June of 2019.
- Note: The Stillwater Lift Bridge lift schedule ended in late Oct. 2017.
Construction on related projects
St. Croix Crossing final work and mitigation
Although the Hwy 36 St. Croix river crossing opened to traffic on Wed, Aug. 2, 2017, additional work remains to complete the project.
- Final cleanup and landscaping
- Rehabilitation and conversion of the Stillwater Lift bridge to bicycle/pedestrian traffic and to serve boat traffic
- Completion of Upper Loop Trail Project:
- Construction of the Upper Loop Trail in Minnesota, including a parking lot
- Completion of Loop Trail, trailhead and parking lot in Wisconsin
- Visit the project website
Construction of the Upper Loop Trail in Minnesota along Hwy 95 north of the new St. Croix Crossing will begin. Construction will include adding new drainage structures beneath Hwy 95 near the Oasis Café’ and landscaping stemming from the St. Croix Crossing project.
Thu, April 26 to early May; 9 a.m.-3 p.m. daily during weekdays
- Hwy 95 will have single lane traffic controlled by flaggers between Hwy 36 and Nelson St. in Stillwater. Expect minor delays.
- Hwy 95 closed from north of Hwy 36 to Nelson St.
- Downtown Historic Stillwater from Hwy 36 Detour: North on Co. Rd. 15 (Manning Ave.), east on 75th St. (Co. Rd. 12). 75th St. becomes Myrtle Ave. as it nears downtown Stillwater.
- Hwy 95 north of Stillwater from Hwy 36 Detour: North on Co. Rd. 15 (Manning Ave.), east on Hwy 96 to Hwy 95 north of Stillwater.
- View the Detour Map (PDF)
Note: Access will be maintained at all times to the Oasis Café and St. Croix Boat and Packet from southbound Hwy 95. Hwy 95 just north of Hwy 36 will remain open to Sunnyside Marina ONLY