Watch the I-94 Project Construction video to learn more about what is to come this year.
Watch for temporary, off-peak lane closures throughout the project area.
Note: The State Patrol will be enforcing the 60 mph speed limit throughout the workzone. Please drive with care for your safety and the safety of the work crews.
Speed limits will be reduced to 50 mph while crews are working one lane from traffic.
- The ramp from Shingle Creek Pkwy to WB I-94/I-694 and WB I-94/I-694 to Shingle Creek Pkwy
May 8 through mid-July
- SB Hwy 252 to EB I-94 will be closed for bridge work
Detour: WB I-94/I-694 to SB Hwy 100 to EB I-394. See detour map (PDF).
Note: Expect Lane shifts and restrictions on EB I-94 and WB I-94 between Shingle Creek Pkwy and Nicollet Ave. in Mpls through the end of 2017.
Lowry Tunnel and Portland Ave. Tunnel work will include lane closures. Watch for these lane closures overnight.
May 8 through Mon, June 12
- WB I-94 to WB I-394 will be reduced to a single lane. The I-394 HOV Reversible Lane will be used for all motorists traveling from WB I-94 to WB I-394 or to Hwy 100.
Note: The WB I-394 HOV lane does not have access to Xenia or Penn Avenues. From WB I-94, take 11th St. to 3rd St. to enter the general purpose lanes of I-394. This will have exits to Xenia and Penn Avenues.
Note: MnPASS customers will not be charged a fee to use the WB I-394 Reversible Lane during this time as the lanes will be open to all WB I-94 to WB I-394 traffic.
- Mpls traffic to WB I-394 will use the WB I-394 general purpose lanes. During this time, the I-394 Reversible Lanes will be closed to EB I-394 and Hwy 100 to EB I-94 or to downtown Mpls traffic. All EB I-394 and Hwy 100 traffic will be on the general purpose lanes.
April 4 through fall
- WB I-94 has two lanes closed from Hwy 55 to Hwy 252
- Shoulder closed between 42nd and 49th Avenues and Broadway Ave.
April 3 through fall
- WB I-94 is reduced to two lanes from I-394
- The left lane of WB I-94 is closed from Hwy 55 in Minneapolis to Broadway Ave.
- EB I-94 is reduced to two lanes from Hwy 252 to Hwy 55
Mar. 20 through late-June
- EB I-94 is reduced to two lanes between I-694/I-94 split and Hwy 252. Traffic shifted to outside shoulder at Shingle Creek Bridge
May 22 through Mon, May 29
- Dowling Ave. to WB I-94 is closed
Detour: Dowling Ave. to Lyndale Ave. to 45th Ave. to Bryant Ave. to 49th Ave. to Lyndale Ave. to WB I-94. See detour map.
May 17 through Fri, May 26
- WB I-94 to Dowling Ave. will be closed
Detour: WB I-94 to 49th Ave N to WB 49th Ave N to SB Bryant Ave to EB 45th Ave N to
Lyndale Ave N back to Dowling Ave N. See detour map.
May 10 through Sat, May 20
- Third St ramp to WB I-94 is closed
Detour: 2nd Ave N to NB Washington Ave to I-94 entrance ramp at 22nd Ave N. See detour map (PDF).
May 8 to mid-July
- WB I-694 to EB I-94 is closed
May 8 through Sat, June 24
- EB I-94 to WB I-394 is closed
Detour: EB I-94 to SB I-35W to WB Hwy 62 to NB Hwy 100 to WB I-394. See detour map (PDF).
May 8 through Mon, June 12
- Lyndale Ave. to WB I-394 is closed
Detour: NB Lyndale Ave. to WB Hwy 55 to SB Hwy 100 to WB I-394. See detour map (PDF).
April 10 through late-May
- EB I-94 to EB I-694 and Hwy 252 is closed
April 1 through July
- 49th Ave. to EB I-94 is closed
Detour: 49th Ave. to Bryant Ave. to 45th Ave. then Lyndale Ave. to Dowling St. exit. See detour map (PDF).
Tue, May 30 through Tue, June 6
- Lyndale Ave. to WB I-94 will be closed
Detour: N. Lyndale Ave. to Broadway Ave. to Washington Ave. See detour map.
Tue, May 30 through Tue, June 13
- Dowling Ave. HOV ramp to EB I-94 will be closed
Note: The main ramp to Dowling Ave. remains open
Thu, June 8 through Thu, June 22
- EB I-94 to Hennepin/Lyndale Ave.
For details on detour routes, you can view the I-94 project detour map (PDF).
Bridge and Tunnel work
- Short-term and long-term bridge
- One side of the Lowry Hill Tunnel will be closed from late-June to September
- During tunnel repair the following ramps will be closed:
- EB I-94 to SB I-35W
- EB I-394 to EB I-94 closed during EB I-94 tunnel repair
- EB Hwy 55 to EB I-94
- The WB I-94 ramp from NB I-35W
- Detour: WB Hwy 62 to NB Hwy 100
- The EB I-394 ramp to EB I-94 closed during eastbound work on Lowry Tunnel
- Detour: SB Hwy 100 to EB Hwy 62 to NB I-35W
- Some parking under freeway bridges will be restricted during repairs
- All trucks weighing more than 9,000 pounds will be prohibited from the Lowry Hill Tunnel during project work
- One side of I-94 will be closed for four weekends in August