Watch the I-94 Project Construction video to learn more about what is to come this year.
Watch for temporary, off-peak lane closures throughout the project area.
Note: The speed limit on I-94 between Hwy 55 to I-694 is 50 mph. State Patrol will be out enforcing this speed limit.
All trucks weighing more than 9,000 pounds are prohibited from the Lowry Tunnel from June 26 through mid-September. This includes semis, large delivery trucks and buses. Personal truck and vans are allowed.
Lowry Tunnel closure
June 25 through Mon, July 24
- The WB Lowry Tunnel is closed. Traffic will be shifted to the eastbound side of the Lowry Tunnel, two lanes in each direction will be available. See affiliated ramp closures detour map.
Reference the I-94 Lowry Tunnel Fact Sheet for complete details about traffic impacts
Note: All trucks weighing more than 9,000 pounds are prohibited from the Lowry Tunnel. They are detoured to I-35W, Hwy 62, Hwy 100 back to I-94
All Hennepin/Lyndale Ave. ramps will be open during Lowry Tunnel work.
The speed limit in the tunnel will be 40 mph.
Lowry Tunnel ramp closures
June 23 through mid-September
- Hwy 55 to EB I-94 is closed
Detour: Lyndale Ave. N to EB I-94. See detour map.
June 24 through Tue, July 25
- WB I-94 to WB I-394 is closed
Detour: SB I-35W to WB Hwy 62 to NB Hwy 100 to WB I-394. See detour map.
- WB I-94 to Hwy 55 is closed
Detour: SB I-35W to WB Hwy 62 to NB Hwy 100 to Hwy 55
June 24 through mid-September
- NB I-35W to WB I-94 is closed
Detour: WB I-694 to WB I-94. See detour map.
- 4th Ave. S to WB I-94 is closed
Detour: 16th Ave. to 15th St. to Lyndale Ave. S to WB I-94. See detour map.
Note: Expect Lane shifts and restrictions on EB I-94 and WB I-94 between Shingle Creek Pkwy and Nicollet Ave. in Mpls through the end of 2017.
June 22 through October
- SB Hwy 252 to I-94 is reduced to a single lane
Thu, June 8 through mid-August
- EB I-94 traffic shifted to inside lanes between Hwy 55 and Hwy 252. The shoulders will be unavailable.
June 6 through mid-August
- WB I-94 traffic shifted to inside lanes between Hwy 55 and Hwy 252. The shoulders will be unavailable.
June 1 through Tue, Aug. 1
- EB I-94 is reduced to two lanes between I-694/I-94 split and Hwy 252. Traffic shifted to two inside lanes
April 4 through fall
- WB I-94 has two lanes closed from Hwy 55 to Hwy 252
- Shoulder closed between 42nd and 49th Avenues and Broadway Ave.
April 3 through fall
- WB I-94 is reduced to two lanes from I-394
- The left lane of WB I-94 is closed from Hwy 55 in Minneapolis to Broadway Ave.
- EB I-94 is reduced to two lanes from Hwy 252 to Hwy 55
May 8 to Fri, Sept. 1
- WB I-694 to EB I-94 is closed
Detour: Continue on WB I-694 to NB Hwy 100 to EB I-394. See detour map.
April 1 through August
- 49th Ave. to EB I-94 is closed
Detour: 49th Ave. to Lyndale Ave. to Dowling St. to EB I-94. See detour map.
10 p.m. Fri, Aug. 18 through 5 a.m. Sun, Aug. 20
- One direction of I-94 will be closed between Hwy 55 and I-694 for paving
Lowry Tunnel lane closures
Tue, July 25 through Wed, Aug. 2
- The inside lanes of the eastbound and westbound Lowry Tunnel will be closed
For details on detour routes, you can view the I-94 project detour map (PDF).
Bridge and Tunnel work
Mid-August through mid-September
- The eastbound side of the Lowry Hill Tunnel will be closed and detoured
- Traffic will be shifted to the westbound side of the tunnel. Both directions will have two lanes and there will be a concrete barrier in the middle.
- Note: All trucks weighing more than 9,000 pounds will be prohibited from the Lowry Hill Tunnel during project work
- During the eastbound tunnel repair the following ramps will be closed:
- NB I-35W to WB I-94
- Detour: WB Hwy 62 to NB Hwy 100
- 4th Ave. S to WB I-94
- EB I-94 to SB I-35W
- EB Hwy 55 to EB I-94
- EB I-394 (including HOV) to EB I-94
- Detour: SB Hwy 100 to EB Hwy 62 to NB I-35W
- Some parking under freeway bridges will be restricted during repairs
- Reference the I-94 Lowry Tunnel Fact Sheet for complete details about traffic impacts
- One side of I-94 will be closed for four weekends in August