Check out this new video that helps explain how to choose a lane when exiting I-494 onto I-694/I-94.
- The ramps from Bass Lake Rd to NB I-494 and from NB I-494 to Bass Lake Rd are now open
- NB I-494 traffic between I-94/I-694 in Maple Grove and I-394 in Minnetonka is traveling on the newly constructed northbound I-494 lanes up to Schmidt Lake Rd
- Three lanes of traffic are open to SB I-494 from Hwy 55 to I-394
- The Carlson Pkwy on ramp and the ramp from WB 394 to SB 494 are open
Note: There will be off-peak lane and ramp closures on I-494 south of Hwy 55 through September.
April through November
- Left lane closure on WB I-694 to SB I-494
- Note: No loads more than 11 feet in width permitted on WB I-694 ramp to SB I-494; NB I-494 ramp to EB I-694.
- There will be two lanes of traffic open in each direction on I-494 through the project area
- Motorists traveling NB on I-494 should stay in the left lane to access EB I-694 OR should stay in the right lane to access WB I-94.
Specific dates for closures will be posted as soon as they are finalized.
- EB I-394 to NB I-494 will close for two weekends
Help keep traffic moving safely:
Northbound I-494 - How to Choose a Lane
About this project
Summary of work
- Repair and reconstruct the concrete pavement on I-494 between I-394 and the I-94/I-494/I-694 interchange (Fish Lake Interchange)
- Maintenance repairs on I-494 ramps
- Ramps to and from I-94 and I-694
- Bass Lake Rd
- Rockford Rd
- Hwy 55
- Co Rd 6
- Carlson Pkwy
- Cheshire Ln
- Replace I-494 bridges
- Co Rd 47
- Schmidt Lake Rd
- Canadian Pacific Railway
- Reconstruct East Fish Lake Rd bridge deck over I-494
- Install a third lane between Hwy 55 and East Fish Lake Rd
- Construct storm water ponds and noise barriers
- Aug. 2013: Geometric layout
- Jan. 2014: Environmental documentation
- Feb. 2014: Final plans and specifications
- June 2014: Project letting for temporary widening of bridges
- July 2014 - Nov. 2016: Project construction
Average daily traffic
- 95,000 vehicles (2005)
- 132,800 vehicles (2030 estimate if project occurs)