About this Project
Summary of work
Road construction will begin in spring 2019. A detailed construction schedule will be available late 2018.
Construction of the noise walls will align with road construction. If there is a noise wall planned for an area where crews are currently working on the road, then the noise wall will be built at the same time
Note: Two other road construction projects on I-35W must be completed before this project can begin in 2019:
- Resurface I-35W (summer 2018): Crews will resurface approximately 4.5 miles of I-35W between 4th St. SE in Minneapolis and Co Rd C in Roseville beginning July 2018. The work will be completed in October 2018.
- Road shoulder preparation (fall 2018): Repairing road shoulders and constructing crossovers on I-35W north of Co Rd C
- Construct MnPASS Express Lanes (one lane in each direction) in the middle of existing I-35W between Co Rd C in Roseville and Lexington Ave. (Co Rd 17) in Blaine
- Repave I-35W and ramps between Co Rd C in Roseville to just north of Sunset Ave (Co Rd 53) in Lino Lakes
- Replace and repair bridges along the project area
- Install seven separate noise walls
- Provides long term, sustainable travel options for all motorists and transit
- Reduces congestion and improves safety on the highway
- Increases the number of people that are moved along the highway during peak hours
- Provides reliable travel times for commuters during peak hours
- Optimizes and reuses existing roads and bridges (without needing to acquire homes and properties)
To learn why a construction project is necessary in this location and options for improvement that have been considered, visit the background page.