This project was a collaborative effort of Hennepin County, the City of Minneapolis and the Minnesota Department of Transportation. The purpose of the project was to relieve congestion on Washington Avenue, improve access to northbound I-35W from downtown Minneapolis, reduce the traffic that diverts through Northeast Minneapolis to access northbound I-35W, and to improve access to northbound I-35W. The project was completed using the design-build process, which allows the contractor to design and work on the project concurrently, allowing for more flexibility.
Summary of work
- Built a new ramp from 4th Street South to northbound I-35W
- Constructed an auxiliary lane from University Avenue to the Johnson Street exit
- Reconfigured Johnson Street exit to serve Johnson Street, New Brighton Boulevard and Stinson Boulevard
- Erected a noise wall on the west side of I-35W between Broadway Street Northeast and Johnson Street Northeast
- $15.4 million (state and local taxes)
Public Affairs Coordinator