Anticipated schedule and staging
- Shift all I-35E traffic to the new northbound lanes and resurface southbound I-35E lanes and ramps. Northbound I-35E will remain three lanes and southbound I-35E will be reduced to two lanes (approximately May – September). The following ramps are anticipated to be closed for the duration of this work:
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to northbound I-35E
- Roselawn Avenue to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue (will reopen for approximately one to three months during the closure of the ramp from southbound I-35E to Maryland Avenue)
- Eastbound Hwy 36 to northbound I-35E
- Eastbound Hwy 36 to southbound I-35E
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Hwy 36
- Westbound Hwy 36 to southbound I-35E
- Westbound I-35E to northbound I-35E
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E (will close starting in March for retaining wall/noise wall construction)
- Close Hwy 36 over a weekend to remove the southbound I-35E bridge spanning that roadway (short-term daytime closures of Roselawn Avenue and County Road B will also occur for I-35E southbound bridge removal).
- Close northboundL’Orient Street between Arlington Avenue and Wheelock Parkway for noise wall and ramp construction (spring/summer).
- Close the ramp from southbound I-35E to Maryland Avenue for excavation work (three months).
- Close the ramp from northbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue as well as Roselawn Avenue under I-35E for local street reconstruction (three week duration).
- Close County Road B under I-35E for local street reconstruction (three week duration; will not occur at the same time as the Roselawn Avenue closure).
- Close the ramp from northbound I-35E to westbound Hwy 36 for Hwy 36 widening work (three week duration).
- Complete major construction and open the new northbound MnPASS lane in the fall (the new southbound MnPASS lane will open in summer 2016).
- Construct noise walls on the west side of I-35E between Larpenteur Avenue and Roselawn Avenue and between Little Canada Road and Demont Avenue E. Noise walls constructed in 2014 that were not painted due to cold/wet weather will also be painted in 2015.
MnDOT is adding new MnPASS Express Lanes on both directions of I-35E between Cayuga Street and Little Canada Road. This will be the first MnPASS investment in the East Metro area and an essential link for people commuting between downtown St. Paul and the suburbs to the north. The MnPASS project will also include:
- Long-term pavement improvements between Little Canada Road and Maryland Avenue
- Replacing the Arlington, Wheelock and Larpenteur bridges
- Replacing the I-35E bridge spanning Roselawn Avenue, County Road B and Hwy 36
MnPASS is coming to I-35E in St. Paul in 2015 and 2016. Watch how it will work.
MnDOT is extending the MnPASS Express Lanes on I-35E from Little Canada Road to County Road J.
This segment of I-35E also is part of the Better Roads program, which aims to significantly improve state highway pavement condition, including MnPASS expansion and shoulder hardening for transit. Better Roads also increases safety and ADA accessibility while improving infrastructure such as drainage facilities and exploring innovative engineering and delivery techniques in order to get the most for the
- MnPASS Express Lanes offer faster, reliable travel options and can move 50 percent more people than regular lanes during congested rush hour conditions. During non-peak times the lanes are free and open to all commuters.
- Transit riders and car poolers (two or more people) get an advantage during rush hours because they can use the congestion-free MnPASS lanes free of charge
- Solo motorists with a MnPASS transponder can choose to use the lanes during rush hours by paying a fee that averages about $1.50
- Lanes adjacent to the MnPASS lanes remain general purpose lanes, open and free to all vehicles and less congested because of MnPASS