- 7 p.m. Thursday, May 23: The right lane of northbound I-35E is scheduled to close between I-94 and Maryland Avenue. The lane will reopen by 5 a.m. Friday, May 24.
- Mississippi Street N./Case Avenue is closed between Westminster Street and just south of Cayuga Street E. for utility, drainage and roadway construction. The closure is permanent due to future construction of the new I-35E/Cayuga Street interchange. Detours (PDF) will direct motorists to use Westminster Street, Cayuga Street, Phalen Blvd, Olive Street and University Ave.
- Cayuga Street E. is closed between Mississippi Street N. and L’Orient Street for utility, drainage and roadway construction. Motorists trying to get across I-35E will be directed to Pennsylvania Avenue/Phalen Blvd. Motorist access across I-35E via Cayuga Street will reopen in late 2013. Pedestrian/bicycle access at Cayuga Street E. will remain available.
- L’Orient Street between Granite Street and Genesee Street closed May 13 and will reopen in late May.
- Mississippi Street between York Avenue and Jenks Avenue closed April 10 and will reopen in late October.
- Mississippi Street between Jenks Avenue and Jessamine Avenue closed April 11 and will reopen in late October.
These closures are necessary as crews conduct utility work beneath the streets.
This project began in Spring 2013 and is expected to last through 2015. Read more about project staging.
The Cayuga project is located on I-35E between University Avenue and Maryland Avenue in St. Paul. It includes replacement of the Cayuga Street bridge, Pennsylvania Avenue bridge and railroad bridges along I-35E. A major change within the area will be the replacement of the existing Pennsylvania Avenue/I-35E interchange with a new interchange at Cayuga Street, which will help correct existing safety and operational issues and provide better freeway access for St. Paul’s Phalen Boulevard corridor. I-35E will be constructed along a new alignment between Maryland Avenue and University Avenue. The new roadway will also have an auxiliary lane added in each direction for additional capacity, along with improved roadway layout. For more information watch our I-35E project video.
The city of St. Paul is reconstructing several streets just east of I-35E between Jessamine Avenue and Acker Street as part of their Residential Street Vitality Program. Information about the work is available on their project website.
- Replaces bridges currently on the state’s Chapter 152 list (PDF) for bridge replacement
- Provides geometric improvements for the interchanges and I-35E, which will provide safety and operation improvements for this section of the corridor
- Provides better interchange spacing between Maryland Avenue and University Avenue by shifting the interchange from Pennsylvania Avenue to Cayuga Street
- Provides improved access for St. Paul’s Phalen Boulevard
- Project summary (PDF, 69 KB)
- Project layout (PDF, 5 MB)
- ESA phase 1 (ZIP, 584 MB)
- EIS reevaluation (PDF, 23 MB)
- Bike trail improvement map (PDF, 6 MB)
- Detailed project info (PDF, 5 MB)
To contact us with questions or concerns about this project email email@example.com.