If you are traveling I-35E in the Northeast Twin Cities Metro you may also come across construction work on I-35E and Hwy 96 in Vadnais Heights and White Bear Lake.
I-35E from downtown St. Paul to Little Canada is open, but there are many closres in the area. View detour maps
- Southbound I-35E to eastbound Hwy 36 closed until late August/ early September.
- Eastbound Hwy 36 to southbound and northbound I-35E closed until late August/ early September.
- Westbound Hwy 36 to southbound and northbound I-35E is closed until late August/early September.
- Southbound I-35E to Roselawn Avenue until Monday, June 1.
- Roselawn Avenue ramps to I-35E closed until late August/ early September.
- Maryland Avenue to northbound I-35E closed until late August/early September.
- Little Canada Road to southbound I-35E closed until September. Detour to westbound Little Canada Road, westbound County Road C, northbound Rice Street, eastbound I-694, and southbound I-35E.
- Southbound I-35E to University Avenue is closed until summer 2015 for area reconstruction. A temporary ramp from southbound I-35E to 12th Street is open for access to the Regions Hospital Area. The ramp from southbound I-35E to Pennsylvania Avenue remains open.
- University Avenue to westbound I-94 is closed. Use southbound Jackson Street and westbound 12th Street to access westbound I-94.
- Northbound ramps to/from Phalen Boulevard are permanently closed.
Please follow the posted detours for ramp closures.
- L’Orient Street closed between University Avenue and Pennsylvania Avenue for reconstruction until late June 2015 (the road will remain closed between University Avenue and Arch Street until later this summer).
Detour for westbound University Avenue traffic: Use northbound Jackson Street and eastbound Pennsylvania Avenue.
Eastbound University Avenue traffic: Use northbound Olive Street and westbound Phalen Boulevard.
- Northbound L’Orient Street closed between Arlington Avenue and Wheelock Parkway for noise wall and ramp construction until mid-summer 2015.
Detour: Use westbound Arlington Avenue, northbound Jackson Street and eastbound Wheelock Parkway to access southbound L’Orient Street.
- Southbound I-35E is reduced to two lanes (northbound remains three lanes) until late August/early September.
- Both directions of Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue between approximately L’Orient Street and just east of Mississippi Street are reduced to a single lane to facilitate work on the new northbound I-35E bridge spanning Phalen Boulevard/Pennsylvania Avenue. Lane shifts and restrictions in this location will remain in place throughout late 2015.
May 26 through May 30
- Northbound Viking Drive/Canabury Drive closed between Nature Way and just north of County Road B2. The southbound direction will remain open. Crews will be painting and grading around the recently installed retaining wall.
View detour map (PDF, 140 KB, 1 page)
Beginning Friday, May 29
- Olive Street closed at Phalen Boulevard from 5 a.m. Friday, May 29 through mid-June. Posted detours will direct motorists to use Phalen Boulevard, Jackson Street, University Avenue, Lafayette Road, Tedesco Road, and Payne Avenue to navigate around the closure.
View detour map (PDF, 111 KB, 1 page)
- Northbound I-35E closed between I-94 and Cayuga Street from 9 p.m. Friday, May 29 through 5 a.m. Monday, June 1. Ramps may begin closing at 8 p.m. The closures are needed for paving and shifting traffic.
Northbound I-35E/eastbound I-94 traffic: Use eastbound I-94 and northbound/westbound I-694 to access northbound I-35E.
Westbound I-94: Use northbound Hwy 80, northbound I-35W and eastbound I-694 to access northbound I-35E.Detour map (PDF, 143 KB, 1 page)
- The exit ramp from northbound I-35E to Cayuga Street closed from Friday night, May 29 through early-to-mid June.
Detour: Use Maryland Avenue exit, westbound Maryland Avenue and southbound Jackson Street to access Cayuga Street. View detour map (PDF, 153 KB, 1 page)
Beginning Monday, June 1
- Southbound exit ramp to Maryland Avenue closed until late August.
Detour: Use Larpenteur Avenue exit, westbound Larpenteur Avenue and southbound Rice Street to access Maryland Avenue.