I-35W project in downtown, northeast Minneapolis begins May 28
Northbound I-35W exit ramp to Johnson Street in Minneapolis closing May 28 – early June
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists traveling northbound on Interstate 35W in downtown and northeast Minneapolis will encounter periodic ramp closures and intermittent delays beginning May 28 through November.
The Johnson Street exit from northbound I-35W will close May 28 for one week as crews construct a temporary bypass that will allow motorists to access Johnson Street. Motorists should use the New Brighton Boulevard/Stinson Boulevard exit during the temporary closure.
The temporary bypass is needed while crews reconfigure the Johnson Street exit to serve Johnson Street, New Brighton Boulevard and Stinson Boulevard. The temporary bypass will open in early June, the same time the New Brighton Boulevard/Stinson Boulevard exit is scheduled to close.
Additional work includes:
- Building a new entrance ramp from 4th Street South in downtown Minneapolis to northbound I-35W.
- Constructing an auxiliary lane from University Avenue SE to the Johnson Street exit.
- Erecting a noise wall on the west side of I-35W between Broadway Street NE and Johnson Street NE.
Work on the new 4th Street ramp and northbound I-35W auxiliary lane will begin in early June and run through October.
The project will:
- Improve access to northbound I-35W.
- Relieve congestion on Washington Avenue in downtown Minneapolis.
- Reduce the traffic that diverts through northeast Minneapolis to access northbound I-35W.
Work is scheduled for completion in November 2014, weather permitting. The project will improve traffic flow on 4th Street South and northbound I-35W, resulting in shorter travel times and cost savings for motorists through reduced fuel use.
The project is a collaborative effort of Hennepin County, the city of Minneapolis and the Minnesota Department of Transportation. Shafer Contracting Co. is the prime contractor.
For more information or to sign up for email project updates, visit http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i35wandfourthst/index.html
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota, visit www.511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.