- Bre Grand
MnDOT Metro District
Office of Communications
1500 County Rd B2 West
Roseville, MN 55113
I-494 ramp closures begin Sept. 5
Ramps to close near Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists will experience delays on both directions of Interstate 494 in Richfield as ramps to and from the roadway close at 6 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 5.
The following ramps will close Sept. 5 until early November:
- The ramps from northbound and southbound 24th Avenue S. to westbound I-494
- Detour: Eastbound I-494 to the 34th Avenue S. interchange to westbound I-494
- The loop ramp from southbound Hwy 77 to eastbound I-494
- Detour: Westbound I-494 to the I-35W interchange to eastbound I-494
The HOV (“carpool”) ramp from northbound Hwy 77 to westbound I-494 will also close. The ramp closures are necessary for center median work between Hwy 77 and 24th Avenue S. as part of the I-494 improvement project.
Other ongoing ramp closures along the corridor will remain in place. The following closed ramps are anticipated to remain closed until early November:
- The loop ramp from northbound France Avenue to westbound I-494
- Detour: Continue northbound on France Avenue to westbound Minnesota Drive to westbound W. 77th Street to southbound Hwy 100 to westbound I-494.
The following closed ramps are anticipated to reopen by mid-September:
- Southbound I-35W to westbound I-494
- Detour: Westbound Hwy 62 to southbound Hwy 100 to westbound I-494
- The westbound I-494 ramps to and from Penn Avenue
- Detour: Use the ramps and the France Avenue interchange
- Portland Avenue to westbound I-494
- Detour: Westbound E. 77th Street or American Boulevard W. to Nicollet Avenue to westbound I-494
- Westbound I-494 to Nicollet Avenue
- Detour: Exit to Lyndale Avenue and then use eastbound E. 77th Street or American Boulevard W. to access Nicollet Avenue
The westbound ramp closures are needed as crews continue work to add a westbound I-494 auxiliary lane that will extend between I-35W and Hwy 100 as part of the I-494 improvement project.
The I-494 improvement project will raise the vertical clearance and update pedestrian accessibilities on the Xerxes Avenue Bridge, provide a smoother driving service and extend the lifespan of I-494, improve traffic flow due to added auxiliary lanes, and reduce maintenance needs by replacing guardrail with concrete barrier in the median. The entire project is expected to be completed by September 2013.
For more project information visit http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i494richfield/.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota visit 511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.