- Bre Grand
MnDOT Metro District
Office of Communications
1500 County Rd B2 West
Roseville, MN 55113
Westbound I-494 ramp closures begin Aug. 20
Loop ramps at I-494/I-35W interchange to reopen
ROSEVILLE, Minn. – Motorists will experience delays and closures on westbound I-494 as ramps to and from the roadway close at 6 a.m. Monday, Aug. 20.
The following ramps will close Aug. 20 until early November:
- Portland Avenue to westbound I-494
- Detour: Westbound E. 77th Street or American Boulevard W. to Nicollet Avenue to westbound I-494
- Westbound I-494 to Nicollet Avenue
- Detour: Exit to Lyndale Avenue and then use eastbound E. 77th Street or American Boulevard W. to access Nicollet Avenue
- The loop ramp from northbound France Avenue to westbound I-494
- Detour: Continue northbound on France Avenue to westbound Minnesota Drive to westbound W. 77th Street to southbound Hwy 100 to westbound I-494.
The following ramps will remain closed until mid-September:
- Southbound I-35W to westbound I-494
- Detour: Westbound Hwy 62 to southbound Hwy 100 to westbound I-494
- The westbound I-494 ramps to and from Penn Avenue
- Detour: Use the ramps and the France Avenue interchange
The ramp from southbound France Avenue to westbound I-494 will remain open until the ramp from Penn Avenue to westbound I-494 reopens.
The loop ramps at the I-494/I-35W interchange that have been closed since late July (northbound I-35W to westbound I-494 and westbound I-494 to southbound I-35W) will reopen Aug. 20.
The ramp closures are needed as crews continue work to add a westbound I-494 auxiliary lane that will extend between I-35W and Hwy 100 as part of the I-494 improvement project.
The I-494 improvement project will raise the vertical clearance and update pedestrian accessibilities on the Xerxes Avenue Bridge, provide a smoother driving service and extend the lifespan of I-494, improve traffic flow due to added auxiliary lanes, and reduce maintenance needs by replacing guardrail with concrete barrier in the median. The entire project is expected to be completed by September 2013.
For more project information visit http://www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/i494richfield/.
For real-time travel information anywhere in Minnesota visit 511mn.org or dial 5-1-1.