- J.P. Gillach
Minnesota Department of Transportation
Office of Communications
1500 County Rd B2 West
Roseville, MN 55113
|News Release Search|
|Search Statewide News|
Hwy 169 enhancements start Thursday, March 24
Temporary measures will increase capacity until other river crossings open
ROSEVILLE, Minn. — Motorists will encounter lane and ramp closures on Highway 169 between County Road 18 in Shakopee and I-494 beginning at 7 p.m. on Thursday, March 24 as crews reconfigure the roadway to create a temporary enhanced detour route.
Crews will temporarily reconfigure the roadway by restriping, making traffic signal modifications and closing various ramps. The changes will create additional capacity in order to help move traffic more efficiently and safely across the Highway 169 Minnesota River bridge while the Highway 41 and Highway 101 Minnesota River crossings are closed due to flooding.
At 7 p.m. Thursday, March 24 crews will begin restriping the roadway. Lane and ramp closures will begin on the northbound lanes first, and will begin on the southbound lanes starting at 10 p.m. All lanes will be reopened to traffic by 6 a.m. Friday, March 25.
Both directions of Highway 169 will be reduced to a single lane at 10 p.m. Friday, March 25 and reopened by 5 a.m. Monday, March 28.
Motorists may also encounter work crews and possible delays near the Highway 169/I-494 interchange as crews modify signals and close at-grade access.
Highway 169 will be returned to its pre-flood condition as soon as Highways 41 and 101 can safely be opened.
Motorists can expect the following:
- The lanes will be narrower, with advisory speed limits of 55 miles per hour or less.
- Northbound Highway 169 will be restriped to add a lane between Scott County Road 18 and Pioneer Trail.
- Southbound Highway 169 will be restriped to add a lane between Pioneer Trail and Highway 101.
- The Townline Avenue/Highway 169 intersection will be closed.
- The Highwood Drive/Highway 169 intersection will be limited to right turns only.
- The traffic signals at Highway 169/I-494 will be optimized in order to create a continuous green light for Hwy 169 traffic. Movements at the two signals will be limited to right turns.
- The ramp from Old Shakopee Road to northbound Highway 169 will close temporarily. A detour will direct motorists north on Bloomington Ferry Road.
Increased traffic management and enhanced freeway service patrol (FIRST) will quickly address and clear incidents during rush hours.
Maps depicting the changes at the Highway 169/I-494 interchange can be found at www.dot.state.mn.us/metro/projects/169corridor.
For travel information anywhere in Minnesota visit www.511mn.org.