New Library Materials
Items added during: September 2010
| MnDOT Library
Research Services Section
395 John Ireland Boulevard
Mail Stop 155
Saint Paul, MN 55155
Barb Hogan Retires: Interview
By Qin Tang
Barb Hogan retired as the library technician in charge of inter-library loans on Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2010, after working 32 non-consecutive years at MnDOT.
Tang: Give us a brief history of your employment at MnDOT.
Hogan: I started at MnDOT in Aug. 1969 after I graduated from St. Paul Park High School. I left in spring 1975 to raise my four kids. During that time I worked nights at St. Joseph’s Hospital. I came back to MnDOT in April 1984 after my kids started school.
Tang: During your 32 years at MnDOT, what are the most memorable events for you?
Hogan: I remember a few fun things with fondness:
- The old Highway Department had an annual picnic at Harriet Island with a band and dancing into the evening.
- I was being nominated for the Miss Minnesota Highway (Highway Queen), then I dropped out and instead of running, I campaigned for a coworker Candy Prink. During those days Miss Minnesota Highway rode on floats at Winter Carnival parades to represent our Department.
In terms of work, the following events stood out in my memory.
- Getting our own copy machine - we didn’t have to send our copying to the Copy Center.
- Getting our first computer - we had one computer for all of us to use in the library.
- The end of typewriters in the office.
- Moving of the Library from the basement to a nice beautiful space on the first floor.
- Getting rid of the library card catalog – I typed most of those library cards.
Tang: What are your proudest accomplishments during this time?
Hogan: Back in the 1980s, MnDOT had no way of paying other countries in foreign currencies. I figured out how to do that before visa credit cards were used. I had to trouble shoot problems with periodicals and overdue notices. I feel I did a great job mostly because I love talking to people.
Tang: What’s your plan for life after retirement?
Hogan: I will mostly hang out at my fitness center since I will have about 10 more hours in my day just for myself. I will have plenty of time to swim. I have already signed up for two water aerobics classes. I will have more time to take care of myself and time to cook and eat healthier. I will spend some quality time with my golden retriever Duke. I love making cards, so I will make cards and maybe even sell them in gift shops and cafe houses.
Tang: What would you like people to know and remember about you?
Hogan: I would like for people to know how much I have loved working in the Library. Also that I love people and I am a great listener.
Documents and Databases
Transportation Library Resources
- Request Materials
- State DOT Libraries
- Transportation Information Management
- Web Technologies
- Site Map
Mail Stop 155
395 John Ireland Blvd.
St. Paul, MN 55155