Minnesota Department of Transportation

511 Travel Info

Trending questions and answers


How do I report a pothole?


This winter has been particularly harsh, resulting in more potholes than usual. Curious about how they form? Learn more about the perfect recipe for potholes.


  • On city/county roads - MnDOT is responsible for fixing potholes on state highways and interstates (PDF). If a pothole isn't on a state highway or interstate, contact your city or county and let them know about potholes near you.
  • On Twin Cities Metro highways - Report a pothole on a state highway in the Twin Cities Metro area
  • On Greater Minnesota highways - Report potholes on greater Minnesota state highways to your regional MnDOT district office (use this list of cities to find your district office). Simply call the main phone number for your district office to report the pothole or discuss other concerns about roads in the area.


If you believe your car was damaged by a pothole, first report the pothole as soon as possible so that it can be fixed. After that, read more about tort claims and who to contact about filing a claim.

Still have questions?

Submit your questions, comments or concerns.