The new I-35W St. Anthony Falls Bridge is two lanes wider than the former bridge.
Changes to access roads, lanes and ramps on I-35W and some alternate routes will go back to the way they were before the collapse in order to accommodate the shift in traffic.
Mn/DOT will be monitoring traffic volumes closely as drivers adjust their routes.
We expect to see the following:
- Traffic on I-35W will increase
- Traffic on Hwy 280 will decrease
- University Ave and 4th Street Traffic should decrease
- Traffic flow on downtown Minneapolis river crossings should improve:
- 1st Avenue/Hennepin Avenue Bridge
- 3rd Avenue/Central Avenue Bridge
- 10th Avenue Bridge
The I-35W St. Anthony Falls Bridge opened to traffic at 5 a.m. Thursday, Sept. 18
Check 511 for current road conditions, construction and traffic alerts.
- The ramps from E. Hennepin to I-35W are OPEN.
- All ramps at SE 4th Street and University Avenue will be OPEN. (On and off ramps at 4th Street will both revert from two lanes to one lane.)
- The westbound left-turn lane on the Washington Avenue bridge will revert to an eastbound left-turn lane to northbound I-35W.
- West River Parkway under the new I-35W Bridge is open.
- No new access ramps to I-35W have been added with the new bridge construction.
- The ramp from northbound Hwy 280 to Highway 36 and I-35W will revert back from two lanes to one lane.
- Access will remain CLOSED at this time for:
- County Road B
- Broadway Street N.E.
- Walnut Street
- Roselawn Avenue
- Access at Larpenteur and Hennepin Avenues will remain OPEN at this time. (This interchange is scheduled for reconstruction in the Spring of 2009.)
- Westbound traffic from I-94 to I-35W south will merge into the I-35W right lane as it did prior to the collapse.