The New I-35W Bridge
The new I-35W Bridge opened to traffic on Sept. 18, 2008, more than three months early.
- I-35W bridge replacement wins America's Transportation Awards' Grand Prize (Oct. 30, 2009)
- I-35W bridge replacement named one of America’s 10 best transportation projects (Sept. 11, 2009)
- 100-year life span
- 10 lanes of traffic, five in each direction—two lanes wider than the former bridge
- 189 feet wide—the previous bridge was 113 feet wide
- 13 foot wide right shoulders and 14 foot wide left shoulders, the previous bridge had no shoulders
- Light Rail Transport-ready which may help accommodate future transportation needs
- Design-build project complete in 339 days.
- Designed to be aesthetically pleasing and fit in with its environment
- MnDOT and its partners met and exceeded DBE minority participation goals