Lac Qui Parle Bridge (Bridge 5380)
History & significance
The Lac Qui Parle Bridge (Bridge 5380) carries State Highway 40 over a widening in the Minnesota River known as Lac Qui Parle Lake about 3 miles southwest of Milan in northwestern Chippewa County. The lake is the result of a water conservation and flood control project initiated in the mid-1930s by the Works Progress Administration, under the sponsorship of the Minnesota Department of Conservation. The project created a 40-mile-long reservoir on the Minnesota River by building three dams, control works, and a diversion channel. The undertaking also required the construction of new roads and bridges, including the Lac Qui Parle Bridge.
Completed in 1938, the bridge is a single-span, riveted steel, Parker through truss with concrete slab approach spans. The bridge has poured concrete abutments with somewhat stylized classically inspired detailing, such as entablature-like molding, railing piers with recessed panels, and curving corbel-like forms that support the bridge approaches. Cantilevered sidewalks were incorporated into the design due to the bridge’s location near a popular fishing spot on the lake. The causeway at each end of the bridge is protected by large areas of well-crafted, mortared, hand-fit granite riprap. The bridge is significant as a contributing resource to the Lac Qui Parle Flood Control Historic District.
Kragero Township (Chippewa County)
Latitude, Longitude: 45.09752698, -95.98043035