MnDOT is delivering three freight transportation infrastructure projects with ARRA funds.
- The Minnesota Valley Regional Railroad Authority will receive $2.5 million for rail replacement, other track improvements and safety upgrades. The MVRRA is a five-county regional rail authority that includes Carver, Sibley, Renville, Redwood and Yellow Medicine counties. The 94-mile rail line, operated by the Minnesota Prairie Line Railroad, runs from Norwood Young America to Hanley Falls, Minn. The new rail will support heavier rail cars and higher train speeds, providing operational efficiencies and faster deliveries. The Minnesota Prairie Line supports rural economic development by carrying agricultural and other products to market including corn, biodiesel and ethanol.
- The Duluth Port Authority will receive $3 million for dock and navigation improvements at the Duluth harbor, including replacement of corroded sheet piling. The project will place protective steel plating around the perimeter of the 5,775-foot dock wall of the Port Authority’s Clure Public Marine Terminal facility. The facility, operated by Lake Superior Warehousing Co., is a major shipment hub for wind energy components, handles a variety of other heavy-lift cargo (e.g. wood pulp and paper, steel coil and oil extraction equipment) and is designated a Foreign Trade Zone.
- The St. Croix Valley Railroad will receive $750,000 to repair a railroad bridge over the Snake River in Pine City. The piers and timber foundation were originally constructed prior to 1906. Earlier this year, the railroad bridge was closed due to its condition. As a result, the Horizon Milling Flour mill, which relies upon rail service, was forced to shut down. The mill will reopen when the bridge is repaired later this year.
We are also working to deliver six grade crossing safety improvement projects with ARRA funds
- Highway 52, near Cannon Falls, Progressive Rail
- Highway 9, near Nashua, BNSF
- Highway 28, near Morris, BNSF
- Cedar Avenue, Owatonna, DM&E
- North Street, Owatonna, DM&E
- Sucker Bay Road NW, Schley, BNSF
- Minnesota submits applications for High-Speed Intercity Passenger Rail (HSIPR) Program (Sept. 3, 2009)
- Minnesota submits applications for federal stimulus passenger rail grants (Aug. 3, 2009)
MnDOT's approach to the economic recovery program - Freight Infrastructure - Jan. 29, 2009
- State Aid - Will distribute a portion of the funds to local government
- Metropolitan Council
- Federal Aviation Administration
- Federal Highway Administration
- Federal Railroad Administration
- Federal Transit Administration
Contractors and Consultants
Federal Legislation Updates