Lane and ramp closures
Eastbound I-90 traffic is in a single-lane configuration beginning near the Dresbach exit. Traffic wishing to continue eastbound on I-90 over the Mississippi River into La Crosse should utilize the crossover near the west end of the project. Continuing onto the bridge, eastbound I-90 traffic will be traveling on the westbound (downstream) lane of the new eastbound bridge.
Eastbound I-90 traffic continuing on to southbound Hwy 61 (heading to La Crescent) will ignore the crossover and continue on to take the left exit into La Crescent. After exiting, drivers will encounter a traffic signal. Be prepared to stop.
Westbound I-90 traffic will continue on the eastbound (upstream) lane of the new eastbound bridge.
- Dresbach Bridge ramp closure - Northbound Hwy 61 motorists from La Crescent, Minn., will encounter the closure of the eastbound I-90 entrance ramp through mid-summer. Motorists should follow westbound I-90 and take the Dresbach exit to eastbound I-90 to continue east into Wisconsin. View northbound detour map (PDF)
- Dresbach Bridge exit change - Westbound I-90 traffic heading to southbound Hwy 61 will no longer need to detour through Dresbach. Westbound I-90 traffic heading to southbound Hwy 61 will exit just west of the river bridge (currently the exit into the rest area and the boat ramps). Traffic then follows the ramp to the bottom and turns left to cross the two bridges where there will be a temporary traffic signal. At the signal, turn left and enter onto the ramp to southbound Hwy 61. This change will be in effect throughout the construction season. View southbound detour map (PDF)
Demolition of the old bridge (Bridge 9320) will begin in April 2016 and will be completed in June 2017. Learn more.
- There is a 12 foot width and a 80,000 lbs. weight restriction on I-90.
- Hwy 61 will be kept open to traffic at all times during the project but there will be over-dimensional permit restrictions implemented.
- Trucking industry handout (PDF)
U.S. Fish & Wildlife boat ramp at Dresbach Bridge will close March 21 for construction work. The closure will continue into fall of this year and reopen after bridge demolition is completed.
The easterly segment of the Mississippi River Trail that follows US 61 is closed to through traffic between LaCrescent and Dresbach. New trail segments will be fully open in 2016.