Lane and ramp closures
Beginning Aug. 11, westbound I-90 traffic will cross the river on the westbound bridge in the right (outside) lane. Travelers following eastbound I-90 will cross the river on the eastbound bridge in the right (outside) lane. Traffic will be one lane in each direction on the outside lanes. Map (PDF)
Eastbound I-90 to Southbound Hwy 61: Beginning Aug. 8, 2016, EB I-90 traffic exiting to SB Hwy 61 toward La Crescent will begin utilizing the completed exit.
Drivers will no longer exit left and travel through the temporary stoplight, but will instead exit right to travel along the outside retaining wall next to the bluffs, before merging onto southbound Hwy 61.
There will be no access to the Dresbach Welcome Center, Lock and Dam No. 7 and adjacent fishing ramps from EB I-90/SB Hwy 61 for about a month following this switch to allow crews to replace temporary paving with concrete. The area will still be accessible from NB Hwy 61 and WB I-90. View a map (PDF).
- Dresbach Bridge ramp reopens - Northbound Hwy 61 motorists from La Crescent, Minn., are now able to use the eastbound I-90 entrance ramp to La Crosse, Wis.
- Dresbach Bridge exit change - Westbound I-90 traffic heading to southbound Hwy 61 will no longer need to detour through Dresbach. Westbound I-90 traffic heading to southbound Hwy 61 will exit just west of the river bridge (currently the exit into the rest area and the boat ramps). Traffic then follows the ramp to the bottom and turns left to cross the two bridges where there will be a temporary traffic signal. At the signal, turn left and enter onto the ramp to southbound Hwy 61. This change will be in effect throughout the construction season. View southbound detour map (PDF)
Demolition of the old bridge (Bridge 9320) will begin in April 2016 and will be completed in June 2017. Learn more.
- There is a 12 foot width and a 80,000 lbs. weight restriction on I-90.
- Hwy 61 will be kept open to traffic at all times during the project but there will be over-dimensional permit restrictions implemented.
- Trucking industry handout (PDF)
U.S. Fish & Wildlife boat ramp at Dresbach Bridge will close March 21 for construction work. The closure will continue into fall of this year and reopen after bridge demolition is completed.
The easterly segment of the Mississippi River Trail that follows US 61 is closed to through traffic between LaCrescent and Dresbach. New trail segments will be fully open in 2016.