This page provides an overview of how the Geometric Design Support Unit (GDSU) functions and how project reviews are performed.
Processing Timeframe: It is the GDSU’s goal to complete all processing and review of a layout in 4 weeks or less from the time of receipt. We strive to turn projects around as quickly as possible and the time is often less than 4 weeks for small projects or for follow-up reviews of previously viewed layouts. However, more than 4 weeks should be expected for large or particularly complex projects and early submittal in these instances is crucial.
- Layout, profile and submittal letter are received, dated and recorded on work board.
- Lead reviewer is assigned to handle communications, prepare comments and checklist and keep review on track with timeline. Sometimes if the Project Manager arranges a meeting to explain his efforts and product.
- Previous submittal history, comments and project history is checked. Review Team familiarizes itself with project location, project intent, and problems the project is trying to solve.
- Layout Content Review Checklist is prepared for both the layout and profile. Information about the different areas in the review checklist can be found at Guidance for Checklist.
- Lead reviewer generates individual comments and concerns.
- Geometric Design Support Unit does a group review of the project and generates comments.
- Outside work units may be asked for recommendations including the Office of Traffic Engineering and Office of Transit. To ensure good input, lead experts are contacted in units like Water Resources, Bridge, Final Design, Land Management, State Aid, Design Standards, and Materials.
- Comment Letter, LCR Checklist and possible suggested alternate drawings are returned to the Project Manager and the Geometric Team may meet with the Project Manager to explain concerns. Known design exceptions are noted.
- All project data generated and submitted is retained. A response is expected to the Geometric Team's review comments.
- When appropriate, layout signatures are obtained and an approval transmittal letter is prepared and sent.
- Layout Content Review Checklist (Excel 78KB)
- Road Design Manual
- HPDP Geometric Design Resources
- Consultant Pre-qualification
- Construction Project Log
- Trunk Highway Logpoints
- Minnesota Roundabouts