About this project
Current traffic impact
- Detour is in effect (May 14, 2018)
- Cars - Hwy 23, Kandiyohi CR 2, Hwy 55
- Trucks (due to weight restricted bridge) - Hwy 23 to Hwy 55 (Paynesville)
- Reminder - driving over, through or around any barricade is a violation of Minnesota Statute 160.2715.
- US 71 & CR 27
- US 71 & Hwy 9 (flagging operations, expect delays)
- US 71 & 165th (near Hillcrest, expect delays)
- Kandiyohi CR 5 is now open to traffic. The detour was lifted Aug. 15, 2018.
- US 71 & CR 40
- US 71 & CR 29
- US 71 & CR 10
- US 71 & 148/48
- Phase 2 detour of the landfill is in effect.
- Work at the intersection of US 71 & Hwy 9 is being done under traffic, using a single lane and a flagger. Please note that there could be delays up to 10 minutes while work is being done at this intersection.
- Extra enforcement will be present at the intersection of US 71 & Hwy 9 starting Monday, August 13. The enforcement is there to ensure that vehicles are not driving on US 71 during paving. Vehicles may still drive through the intersection on Hwy 9 as directed by flaggers. There could be delays of up to 10 minutes during work.
- Paving operations continue.
Summary of work
- Resurfacing of US 71
- Construction of left turning lanes, right turning lanes and a bypass lane
- Construction of pedestrian underpass (DNR trail extension)
Left turn lane locations
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 40 (Lakes Access)
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 27 (Deering's Auto)
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 29 (Lake Florida & Commercials Pits)
- US 71 & Hwy 9 (Benson & New London)
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County 10
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 148/48 (Sibley State Park)
Right turn lane locations
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 10 (current right lane will be lengthened)
- US 71 & the landfill (right turn lane & bypass lane addition)
Pedestrian underpass location
- US 71 & Kandiyohi County Road 40 (underpass will run diagonally under intersection)