About this project
The city of Marshall, MN has been awarded a Corridor Investment Management Strategies (CIMS) grant for safety immprovements at the intersection of Highway 23 and Saratoga Street. The CIMS grant will address motorized and non-motorized safety issues that currently exist at that intersection.
A Reduced Conflict Intersection (RCI) configuration has bee proposed to reduce the frequency and severity of motorized crashes. A trail bridge over Highway 23 is also proposed for safe crossing for non-motorized users.
The project is being led by the city of Marshall. Construction is currently planned to begin in 2015..
An RCI is recommended based on the following:
- The full range of possible traffic movements will continue to be served at this intersection.
- The RCI configuration results in a two-staged crossing of Highway 23, greatly reducing the decision making considerations for drivers on Saratoga Street.
- The RCI design reduces the number of possible vehicle movement conflicts resulting in a safer operating intersection.
- The RCI design will safely accommodate future traffic demands.
In addition, a trail bridge over Highway 23 will serve non-motorized users in the following ways:
- It's complimentary to existing, and planned, sidewalks and trails in Marshall.
- It's located between residential developments and local school facilitites.
- It will safely serve pedestrians and bicycle crossing without vehicular conflict at the intersection.
- City of Marshall
- MnDOT-District 8