About this project
Slope paving and placement of rails on the bridge are planned for the week of May 29.
In an effort to improve safety at the intersection of Hwy 23 and Kandiyohi County Road 5, MnDOT and Kandiyohi County are proposing a bridge overpass of Hwy 23. This location has experienced a higher than expected crash rate and exceeds the critical crash rate, making it a sustained crash location. During the ten year period of 2003-2012 this intersection has the highest crash cost for District 8.
An 800 foot shift of the Kandiyohi County Road 5 alignment to the east is proposed in order to utilize the existing public right-of-way and bridge fill. This will help make the project more economical and feasible. The project will also utilize a segment of Kandiyohi County Road 5 and Hwy 15 as the quadrant roadway that connects Hwy 23 to Kandiyohi County Road 5.
Summary of work
After reviewing a five year segment of crash data, it was evident that the highest risk for motorists is the through movement of northbound and southbound Kandiyohi County Road 5 traffic across Hwy 23. The proposed overpass improvement would provide the following safety enhancements:
- The most risky maneuver, Kandiyohi County Road 5 through traffic, will be eliminated with the bridge overpass.
- Eliminating the through movement from the intersection will also relieve some volume pressure from the intersection which will also improve safety for the remaining turning movements.
- Although the right turn vehicles from northbound Kandiyohi County Road 5 will now have to make two left turns to go east on Hwy 23, they will no longer have to compete with Kandiyohi County Road 5 through traffic. The project also adds a right turn lane from southbound Kandiyohi County Road 5 to westbound Hwy 23, which will open up the sight lines of the intersection and reduce the risk of the left turn maneuver.
- With a slight increase in left turns, there is still a net decrease in Kandiyohi County Road 5 motorists having to judge two gaps. When using 12-hour traffic counts from late September 2012, the new Kandiyohi County Road 5/Hwy 23 intersection would eliminate 426 through movements and add 77 left turn movements for a net decrease of 349 vehicles.
- Approximate construction cost is $3 million