About this project
Summary of MnDOT work
- Reconstruct Hwy 15 through downtown Hutchinson
- Resurface Hwy 15 from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115 / Airport Road
- Add a northbound left-turn lane at Linden Ave
- Update pedestrian crossings along project areas to make them accessible for everyone
Summary of City of Hutchinson work
- Replace storm sewer, water, and sanitary sewer along the project area
- Hwy 15 between 2nd Ave N and 5th Ave S is closed for the duration of the project.
- Detour for through traffic (map above) is in effect.
- Travelers not stopping in the downtown area must use the detour.
- Signs will help direct visitors to the downtown area.
- Find information about getting to downtown homes and businesses (local traffic) under the Project updates section below.
- During the repaving project (orange line on the map), expect temporary lane, shoulder, sidewalk, and side street closures from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115.
Project and traffic updates
July 10, 2020
- Finished all concrete paving between 2nd Ave N and Washington Ave.
- Removed old concrete roadway up to the north side of 5th Ave. S.
- Started installing sanitary sewer between 3rd Ave S and 5th Ave S.
- Continued removing old pavement and installing new concrete curb, road and sidewalk along Highway 15, south of 5th Ave S.
- Continue installing sanitary sewer and water main between 3rd Ave S and 5th Ave S.
- Start prepping and installing sidewalk between Washington Ave and 2nd Ave S.
- On the resurfacing part of the project, we will continue removing old pavement and installing concrete curb, road and sidewalk.
During the resurfacing part of the project
The resurfacing part of the project (south of 5th Ave) will remain open to traffic, however, people can expect temporary lane and shoulder closures of Hwy 15, as well as temporary side street and sidewalk closures.
During Stage 4
Work takes place at the intersections of Hwy 15 with 3rd Ave S, 4th Ave S.
- Area is closed to all vehicles from all directions.
- Crosswalks in the work zone are closed to pedestrians.
- Sidewalks to businesses will remain open as long as possible; use rear/side entrances when posted.
- Park on the streets and in the parking lots on the back side of Hwy 15/Main St businesses.
- People can use Franklin and Adams Streets to get to homes and businesses.
- People can cross Hwy 15 at Washington Ave and 5th Ave S; when 5th Ave S isn't available, 2nd Ave S will be open for crossing.