About this project
Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon (RRFB) Test
MnDOT and the City of Litchfield are partnering to test a Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacon, or RRFB, at the intersection of Hwy 12 and 3rd Street in Litchfield. With the planned reconstruction of Hwy 12 in 2020 the current traffic signal at the intersection of Hwy 12 and 3rd Street has been evaluated and found to not be warranted. Further analysis of the intersection suggests that an RRFB is a good option for pedestrians to safely cross the road. To read more about why the signal isn't warranted and the RRFB test click here.
An RRFB is a pedestrian-activated crossing option device used at un-signalized intersections and mid-block crosswalks. It has an irregular flash pattern, similar to what is used by emergency vehicles. Click here to view a video of how an RRFB works.
A RRFB was installed October 24, 2017 for a testing period of 90 days. The current traffic signal has been shut down and is not operational. The testing period is an opportunity to collect data and public input. At the end of the evaluation period, the results of the study, including public feedback, will be presented to the Litchfield City Council. Click here to read more Frequently Asked Questions or visit the RRFB test tab for additional information.
Summary of MnDOT work
- Reconstruction of four blocks of Hwy 12 and Hwy 22 through downtown Litchfield from Commercial Street to 4th Street
- Project includes the reconstruction of the existing roadway and sidewalks from building face to building face
- Update pedestrian crossings along project area to meet Americans with Disabilities (ADA) standards
- Improve drainage along the project area and associated outlet to Jewett Creek
- Since much of the Highway 12 reconstruction project is located within and near the Litchfield Historic Commercial District and other historic properties, the Section 106 review process is a crucial component to the project. MnDOT is working closely with the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO).
Summary of City of Litchfield work
- Update utilities (sanitary sewer & water) along the project area