Virtual ribbon cutting celebration
- Planning for the Hwy 12 project started in 2016 with a study of the downtown and construction wrapped up in September of 2020, seven weeks early. Click here to celebrate a job well done.
Summary of MnDOT work
- 4th St. from Hwy 12 to N Donnelly Ave. was reconstructed.
- Hwy 12 from 4th St. to E Commercial St. was reconstructed. Pedestrian crossings and sidewalks were replaced to meet Americans with Disabilities (ADA) standards.
- Hwy 12 from the intersection of Hwy 12/Hwy 22 to N Holcombe Ave. was reconstructed.
- N Holcombe Ave. from Hwy 12 to E 1st Ave. was reconstructed.
- The railroad completed work on the Hwy 22 railroad crossing in 2020. Pavement and a new signal were installed.
Summary of City of Litchfield work
- Updated utilities (sanitary sewer & water)
- Landwehr Construction Inc. was the contractor on the project
- MnDOT must balance the state’s transportation needs with historic
preservation as part of all of their project undertakings.
- Much of the Hwy 12 reconstruction project was located within and near the
Litchfield Historic Commercial District and other historic properties.
- Due to the project taking place in a historic district, there was a
vibration monitoring plan.