Blizzard conditions predicted Friday in south central Minnesota
WILLMAR, Minn. – District 8 staff are busy preparing for heavy snow, wind gusts up to 40 mph and difficult travel conditions on Friday. The National Weather Service has put out the following warnings and advisories for Friday, February 24:
- Blizzard warning for south central MN
- Winter storm/ blizzard watch surrounding the blizzard warning
Heavy snow and strong winds are expected to impact travel by reducing visibility and creating difficult and/or hazardous driving conditions.
MnDOT advises motorists to monitor the latest weather conditions and prepare to adjust travel plans if necessary. MnDOT staff will be out working to make highways safe. Motorists should remember to:
- Check road conditions at www.511mn.org or call 511. Please remember that it takes time to get roads back to good driving conditions.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the snowplow, far from the snow cloud.
- Stay alert for snowplows that turn or exit frequently and often with little warning.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions. Snowplows typically move at slower speeds.
- Drive with your headlights on if it is snowing, regardless of if it is day or night.
- Don’t use cruise control when roadways are wet or slippery.